China clothes market offers unlimited options with thousands of trending designs and styles.
You can also benefit from competitive prices and custom designs.
And in this guide, I will show you how to explore China clothes market, ways of getting the best prices, how to find reliable suppliers and many more.
So, if you want to import clothes from China, this guide is for you – keep reading.
- What is the Best Place to Buy Wholesale Clothing in China?
- How does Yiwu Clothing Wholesale Market compare to Guangzhou Wholesale Market Clothes?
- Where can you Buy Cheap Clothes in China?
- How can you Check Quality of Clothes in China?
- Why do you need Sourcing Agent when Buying from China Clothes Market?
- Should you buy Clothes on Alibaba or AliExpress?
- Can you get Genuine Designer Clothes in China Clothes Market?
- What Determine Prices of Clothes in China Clothes Market?
- Why should you buy from Liuhua Clothing Wholesale Market?
- How do you Identify Fake Garments in China Clothes Market?
- Which Types of Clothes can you find in China Clothes Market?
- What should you look for when Buying Garments in China Cloths Market?
- How much Tax/Duty will you Pay when Importing from China Clothes Market?
- How will Freight Forwarder help you Ship from China Clothes Market?
- Which Documents do you need when Buying from China Clothes Market?
- Which Quality Standards should Clothes Made in China Conform to?
- Is there MOQ when Importing from China Clothes Market?
- Which Mode of Shipping will you use when Buying from China Clothes Market?
- Which Incoterm should you use when Shipping from China Clothes Market?
What is the Best Place to Buy Wholesale Clothing in China?
China has several clothing markets spread across several cities such as Guangzhou, Ningbo, Yiwu, Hangzhou, Wenzhou, and Shenzhen among others.
Of them all, Guangzhou is the plug when it comes to shopping for wholesale apparel.
Here, you will find almost all types of clothing that you are looking for ranging from dresses, jeans, sportswear, underwear and knitted wears among several others.
In addition to that, Guangzhou is the place you can meet up with thousands of clothing manufacturers.
In fact, local vendors get their stock from Guangzhou and resell to other clothing markets in China.
That said, you can easily tell that the prices in Guangzhou are relatively cheap.
Nevertheless, this shouldn’t mean that the clothes are of low quality.
Just like any other market, you are bound to come across both high and low-quality clothing in Guangzhou.
Purchasing from a reputable manufacturer is key to ensuring that your apparels are up to standard.
Here are some wholesale clothing markets in China;
- Guangzhou Baima Clothing market
- Shishi clothing city
- Zhongting street foreign trade clothing market
- Guangzhou Liuhua apparel
- Fumin clothing market
- Haiyan wholesale boutique clothing city
- Hangzhou sijiqing clothing market
- Jiangsu changshu investment promotion city
- Beijing zoo clothing market
- Luokou buy wholesale market
- ChengduLotus clothing market
- Xiliu clothing market
- Beijing dahongmen clothing market
These are just some of the many clothing wholesale markets that you will find in China.
Clothing manufacturers are scattered in different parts of China but Guangzhou holds the title of them all.
How does Yiwu Clothing Wholesale Market compare to Guangzhou Wholesale Market Clothes?
Yiwu is considered the largest wholesale market in the world. It’s bigger than Guangzhou.
However, you shouldn’t expect to find a variety of wholesale clothing markets in Yiwu.
YiWu clothes market
Most of the items sold here are gifts, decoration items, electronics, toys, and fashion accessories among others.
By fashion accessories, I don’t mean clothes.
Rather, items such as belts, bags, scarfs and shawls, hats and caps, shoes, fashion jewelry together with cosmetic and beauty accessories.
The percentage of clothing wholesale market is quite low as compared to Guangzhou.
Guangzhou has several wholesale clothing markets that you could purchase from.
The main products being sold here are clothing and therefore it’s the ideal place to purchase your apparels.
Some of the known clothing markets in Guangzhou are not limited to;
- Liuhua garment wholesale market
- Baima clothing market
- Yaosheng Clothing market
- Zhongshanba kids apparel wholesale market
- Xindadi Knitted sweater garment market
- Shisanhang garment wholesale market
- Shahe clothing market
- Zencheng jeans & denim clothes
- Huimei fashion apparel market
- Zhanxi clothing market
- Zhongda market
Secondly, Guangzhou warehouses are close as compared to Yiwu market where the warehouses are located far from each other.
Where can you Buy Cheap Clothes in China?
Buying cheap clothes shouldn’t be a hassle since you can get cheap clothes in almost every market.
Guangzhou is the ideal place if you want to purchase cheap clothes from China.
Not only do importers buy from here but also local vendors who purchase for reselling.
The prices here are cheap in the sense that you could resell the cloth three or four times the price you buy it.
The cheap prices might fool you into forgetting the art of bargaining.
As a buyer, it’s always good to bargain your way to your desired price no matter how affordable the price seems.
Keep in mind that Chinese manufacturers and suppliers are used to this.
As such, you shouldn’t feel like you are bringing them to a loss.
You will be surprised at how much you will purchase your clothes through a simple act of bargaining.
You hack this and your business is set for a splendid growth.
How can you Check Quality of Clothes in China?
For many years, China has been known to have both quality and low-quality products.
No buyer wants low-quality clothing and thus you need to be extra keen when purchasing your clothes from China.
Here are some tips and tricks you could use to check the quality of the clothes you are buying;
- Check the material. Hold the cloth up to a bright source of light and check the thickness. A thick material guarantees you quality.
- Assess if the cloth has lining in the inside part as this is a good sign of quality clothing.
- Another method would be to do a quick “scrunch test”. Grab the cloth and fold it in your fist then release it. A quality cloth will have wrinkles disappearing after some time rather than within a few seconds of release.
- If you are purchasing clothes with natural fiber, check the care instructions label. This is because natural fibers lose quality faster as compared to synthetic materials.
- Skirts and pants should have enough hem allowances.
- A well-hidden zipper is a sign of good quality clothing. Not unless the zipper is meant for design purposes, it should lie flat and match with the fabric color. Don’t forget to test the zippers.
- Do a quick “pull test”. Stretch the cloth and see whether it retains its shape. If it appears to be altered, that’s a straightforward sign of substandard quality.
- Also, check if the buttons are tightly sewed. Observe whether threads are sticking out. If the buttons are tightly held and threads are not sticking out you shouldn’t worry about the quality.
- Lastly, ensure that the clothes are well stitched.
Why do you need Sourcing Agent when Buying from China Clothes Market?
Several importers make use of sourcing agents due to the several benefits that come with hiring one.
Here are some benefits of using sourcing agents when buying from China clothes market;
- You won’t have to worry about finding a manufacturer or supplier.
Sourcing agents will identify the ideal manufacturer or supplier for your clothes.
As if that’s enough, they will also ensure that they get the best in the industry.
- Sourcing agents will check whether the clothes meet your quality requirements.
- With sourcing agents, you won’t have to worry about being scammed.
They know all the ins and outs of the business and therefore they will get the best clothing manufacturer for you.
- Sourcing agents can secure great deals with manufacturers as they have experience and skills.
In addition to that, they fully understand the Chinese language thus enabling them to effectively negotiate on your behalf.
- If you are fixed up in your day-to-day activities, sourcing agents will have all the work done on your behalf.
Should you buy Clothes on Alibaba or AliExpress?
In simpler terms, we could describe Aliexpress as the “smaller sister” to Alibaba.
In as much as these two are owned by the same company, they offer different purposes and operate differently.
Alibaba mainly deals with bulk purchasers who buy directly from manufacturers at wholesale prices.
On the other hand, Aliexpress targets small purchasers and consumers. As compared to
Alibaba, Aliexpress allows you to purchase a single unit.
Aliexpress is ideal for anyone who wants to buy items for personal use.
That said, if you are looking forward to making bulk purchases from China, the best site to use would be Alibaba.
Remember, the more the clothes you purchase, the greater the discounts.
Can you get Genuine Designer Clothes in China Clothes Market?
Yes, you can.
However, if you happen to find a supplier with genuine designer clothes, the price is always higher as compared to other countries.
Designer clothes from China
If you happen to come across designer clothes selling at cheaper prices there is a high probability that they are counterfeit.
Most of the vendors sell counterfeit designer clothes and therefore you need to be extra cautious when checking the clothes.
Keep in mind some overprice fake designer clothes just to trick you into purchasing it.
If you are not sure of your inspection skills it’s better to hire a sourcing agent.
What Determine Prices of Clothes in China Clothes Market?
Prices of clothes in China are influenced by several factors not excluding;
- Availability of raw materials – China does not import most if not all of its raw materials and this reflects the cheap prices of clothes.
- Availability of cheap labor – Not only is there abundant but also cheap labor in China owing to its huge population.
- Price of raw materials – Raw materials in China is easily acquired and the prices are relatively cheap.
- Quality –Low-quality clothes will cost less as compared to high-quality ones.
- Favorable government regulations –For instance, the cost of compliance to safety, health, and environmental regulations are low in China. Therefore, there are no additional charges on the final price.
- Size of purchase – You will pay less for bulk purchases as compared to buying small quantities.
- The Chinese currency manipulation makes exporting of clothes 30% -40% cheaper as compared to other countries.
China has an undervalued currency of about 30%-40% and therefore prices of exporting clothes from China are greatly reduced.
Why should you buy from Liuhua Clothing Wholesale Market?
Liuhua clothing market has been in business since 1996 when it was first established.
Since then, the market has grown to reach 40 billion RMB sales every single year.
Many foreign buyers import clothes from this market owing to the following reasons;
- Liuhua clothing market is huge and offers a variety of clothing depending on your preferred design, material, and color.
- Its prime location makes it convenient for any purchaser to easily transport their purchase from the market.
Liuhua clothing market is located next to Guangdong bus terminal and Guangzhou railway station.
This also attracts a flow of buyers into the market.
- Liuhua market is export-oriented. It has a whole floor section mainly for international buyers.
This explains why we have several importers purchasing from this market.
- The garments here are sold in bulk and therefore importers can get the best offers on their purchases.
How do you Identify Fake Garments in China Clothes Market?
China has several fake markets and therefore having the skill to easily identify fake clothing in China is key.
Here are some ways that will help you identify fake garments in China clothes market.
- Stretch the cloth and observe whether it returns to its original shape. If it appears to alter the clothing is not up to standard.
- Fake garments will have threads sticking out in zippers and buttons
- A fake garment will have poorly done stitches. The stitches will not only be far apart but also won’t have straight lines.
- Genuine garments will have quality materials. Check this by holding the garment up to a source of bright light and observe the thickness of the material.
- Watch out for spelling mistakes in fake clothing. This can either be present on the tags or the logo.
Which Types of Clothes can you find in China Clothes Market?
China’s clothes market is a hub of all types of clothes you can think of.
This ranges from diverse designs, materials, texture, color sizes, and occasions.
You are spoilt for choices.
The following are the types of clothing that you can find in China Clothes market;
Different clothes from China
- Sportswear – Some of the sportswear you can find in China include;
- Soccer wear
- Training and jogging wear
- Outdoor and hiking clothing
- Cycling wear
- Fitness and yoga wear
- Wedding apparel –Wedding apparels include any dressing that is occasioned for weddings. Some of this wears include ;
- Wedding dresses
- Flower girls’ dresses
- Bridesmaid dresses
- Boys’ attires
- Women wear – Women have a variety of clothing in the china clothing market. Some of these include;
- Maternity clothes
- Bodysuits, jumpsuits, and playsuits
- Women’s shirts and blouses
- Women’s pajamas/ sleepwear
- Women’s tops
- Women’s hosiery
- Men’s wear – Some of the men’s clothing that you could purchase from China clothing market are not limited to;
- Men’s coat
- Men’s jeans
- Pants and trousers
- Men’s hoodies and sweatshirts
- Men’s leggings
- Infant and toddlers clothing – If you are planning to purchase infant clothing, here are some commonly bought infant apparels;
- Baby rompers
- Baby coats and outwear
- Bay hoodies and sweatshirts
- Baby dresses
- Baby bibs
- Baby clothing sets
- Baby jackets
- Pants and shorts
- Children’s clothing – In china clothing market you will find all types of boys and girls children wear. This includes;
- Kids underwear
- Kids sleeping wear
- In addition to that, you will also find family matching outfits.
- Novelty & special use wears – These types of clothes are used for special occasions to serves specific purposes.
Novelty clothing is normally used due to the uniqueness and humor that comes with it.
These are the type of clothes used in acting theaters.
- Ethnic clothing
- Stage and dancewear
What should you look for when Buying Garments in China Cloths Market?
Garments in China Market
When buying clothes in china, you need to keep certain factors into consideration for a successful purchase.
First, I recommend that you decide on the type of garment you are planning to purchase before buying it.
Be specific about every detail that you want in your garment.
Having done that, here are some factors to check out for during your purchase process.
- Quality –Quality is the key consideration of any buyer, especially when buying from China’s clothes market.
Run some checks on the quality of garments you want to purchase and look out for any defects.
You could look out for compliance checks such as BSCI (Business Social Compliance Initiative) and SEDEX certifications.
In case you need help in this, sourcing agents and inspectors are available to help you at a fee.
- Product range – After identifying your manufacturer you can quickly browse through their site to have an idea of what range of products they offer. Some only sell to exporters and you will know this by identifying terms such as “manufacturing” or “producing”.
- Scammers –Just like any other market, beware of scammers when buying garments in China’s clothes market.
Ensure that you purchase from a reputable brand and never accept a vendor to take you to private stalls to get “your garment type”.
This is how some buyers end up being ripped off their wallets as a result of following the vendor to be shown the clothes.
Let him or her go and get the clothes for you as you wait at the market.
- Fake clothes –This is no new news in China. Several fake clothes carrying big brand names.
Therefore, always ensure that you observe keenly on every aspect of the clothing.
Genuine clothes will have quality material, matte-finished zippers logo (not shiny surfaces), straight stitches, and the likes.
Take your time and analyze the cloth before making a purchase.
- The favorable market for your garments –There are several clothing markets in China dealing with different types of clothes for different buyers.
Some are known for knitted clothes, other baby clothes and therefore you need to look out for the right market to shop for your clothes.
Some markets are specifically meant for bulk purchasers and exporters.
Therefore, such markets are the best when purchasing in bulk as you are guaranteed cost-effective prices.
How much Tax/Duty will you Pay when Importing from China Clothes Market?
When shipping goods from China, paying import duty and taxes is mandatory.
The cost of import duties varies from one country to the other depending on the customs rules and regulations.
In most cases, import duty is calculated against the sum of import value as declared by customs
For instance, let’s say you are importing clothes worth USD100, 000 and the duty rate is 17%.
The duty will be calculated as 17% of the USD 100,000. Meaning, you will pay a duty of USD 17,000.
Keep in mind that you are bound to incur additional charges such as VAT as well as excise duty.
As this process might be tedious you can as well choose to hire a professional customs broker to handle it for you.
How will Freight Forwarder help you Ship from China Clothes Market?
Freight forwarders come in handy when shipping anything from China including clothes.
They take care of all your shipment processes leaving you with nothing to worry about.
If you are planning to ship items from China and you are not conversant with the shipping industry, freight forwarders are the right people to work with.
Here are some ways through which freight forwarders will help you ship from China clothes market.
- Freight forwarders will negotiate prices with different carriers to secure the best price for your shipping.
- Your shipment will need storage space during the shipment process.
Freight forwarders not only offer warehouse storage for your goods before shipping starts but also when they land in a foreign country.
- You will not have to worry about any unforeseen circumstances as freight forwarders are quick in resolving any arising issues.
They are experienced in this field and can come up with immediate solutions to ensure that the whole process runs smoothly.
- Freight forwarders will help you in customs clearance in the most efficient way.
- Additionally, freight forwarders ensure that your goods arrive at the estimated time. They will carefully handle and keep track of your cargo until you receive it.
- Lastly, freight forwarders can easily adapt to any changing circumstances. This makes it easier for you to make impromptu changes when the need arises.
Which Documents do you need when Buying from China Clothes Market?
Clothes importing document
There are a couple of documents that any importer or exporter will need when shipping their goods from China.
- Packing List –A packing list outlines all the details about the clothes you have purchased.
- Pro forma invoice – A pro forma invoice is an import document sent by your supplier describing the items purchased and cost estimates.
- Purchase order – A purchase order indicates details of the products being purchased, price, and delivery dates.
Nevertheless, here are other export documents that you will require when shipping your clothes from china;
- Export License – An export license is issued by the government to the exporter allowing the export of goods to another country.
- Insurance certificate – An insurance certificate is meant to offer protection to your goods against loss or damage.
It outlines data on the insurance coverage of your goods.
- Bill of exchange – A bill of exchange is a document sent to the drawer to request for payment of a particular sum of money to the drawee.
- Certificate of manufacturer – This export document is sent by the manufacturer to the buyer informing the buyer of the completion of the goods manufacturing process.
A certificate of manufacture notifies to the buyer that all risks are now liable to him or her.
- Certificate of origin –A certificate of origin indicates that goods have been obtained, produced, and manufactured in a certain country of origin.
- Bill of lading – A bill of lading provides extra details of the shipment for smooth processing of freight shipment.
It serves as a receipt for your goods and confirms ownership of goods.
- Inspection certificate – An inspection certificate is issued by an inspection company once your goods conform to the terms of sale and pass inspection procedures.
- Commercial invoice – Not only does a commercial invoice denote all the detail about the goods sold but also serves as a proof of sale.
Which Quality Standards should Clothes Made in China Conform to?
Quality standards are a crucial aspect of any product.
In China, some of the quality standards for clothes are not limited to;
- Children’s clothes ages below 7 years should not have straps around the head or neck.
- There should be no sharp edges on the infant and children’s clothes.
- Clothes manufactured in China should be free from hazardous materials that might otherwise affect the consumer. Failure to observe this standard will have some clothes causing irritation and itching.
- Clothes should have suffocation warning labels
Is there MOQ when Importing from China Clothes Market?
Yes, there is.
The minimum order quantity will vary from one supplier to the other.
In most cases, it will range from 500 to 1000 units per product.
However, this also varies depending on the market you are purchasing from.
Some clothing markets such as Shahe and Shisanhang offer lower MOQ ranging from 5 to 24 pieces.
However, the clothes sold at Shisanhang are of better quality as compared to Shahe clothing market.
Liuhua and Xindadi markets are the ideal ones for import-export trade businesses.
The MOQ in these two markets will range from 150-300 pieces with mixed sizes.
Which Mode of Shipping will you use when Buying from China Clothes Market?
There are four main modes of shipping that you can opt for when shipping clothes from China.
- Air freight – If you want to ship goods faster, air freight is the ideal choice. However, it’s the most expensive of them all.
This explains why most importers don’t use if for shipping bulky products.
The price will shoot very high.
There are two modes of air freight shipping namely standard air shipping and express shipping mode.
Allow me to expound more on this.
Express shipping is faster than standard shipping and therefore it’s the best to use when shipping urgent items such as samples and documents.
Typically express takes 1-3 days while standard shipping will take 3-7 days.
Companies such as FedEx, DHL, EMS, ePacket and UPS provide these services worldwide.
- Sea freight – Sea freight is the most cost-effective shipping mode used by most importers.
Needless to say, you should be prepared for a longer delivery time since it’s the slowest.
This depends on the country of destination of the products.
It will take a shorter time to ship clothes to countries close to China as compared to those far away.
On the brighter side, sea freight allows you to ship any amount of goods at cost-effective prices.
- Rail freight –If you can’t keep up with the slow delivery offered by sea freight, maybe you should consider using rail freight.
Rail freight is not only cheaper than air freight but also faster than sea freight.
This gives you a rough estimate that it is a bit costlier than sea freight but cheaper than air freight.
The rail transport network in Central Asia, Russia, and Europe is well established therefore shipping across such regions from China has been made easier.
- Door to door/ road freight – Door to door shipping is the simplest and convenient mode of shipping.
You simply need to select your supplier and your shipping agent will pick up your goods from your supplier and deliver at your doorstep.
This way, you eliminate middlemen transactions who in most cases hike rates.
Additionally, you won’t have to worry about your goods until you receive them.
The freight forwarder will be responsible for every process involved in making sure that your goods are delivered.
Road freight is also applicable to foreign countries bordering China that share the road transport network.
Remember, when buying clothes from China for your business, eCommerce shipping can be a perfect alternative.
Which Incoterm should you use when Shipping from China Clothes Market?
There are several incoterms to use when shipping products from China not excluding;
Every incoterm varies depending on the security it offers, risks as well as responsibilities.
Incoterms will determine the amount of control you have over your shipment.
That said, choosing the appropriate incoterms will ensure a smooth supply chain as well as efficient transit times.
The best incoterm to choose when shipping from China clothes market would be FOB.
The reason being, you will have better control of your shipment without many responsibilities.
As a buyer, all that will be required of you are making payments, managing sea freight shipment, and hiring.
Here are some of the payment s you will be required to make;
- Cargo payments
- Insurance fees
- Inland transportation fee at the destination port to the warehouse
- Customs clearance at the destination port
- Arrival fees
- Ocean freight payments
- Tariffs and taxes
Another second choice would be the use of EXW as you will also have fewer responsibilities. H
owever, choosing EXW will shift unanticipated fees and any arising problems to you.
That said, I would recommend using FOB when shipping your clothes from China.
I hope you got what you were looking for wholesale clothing from China.
In case you have any question, feel free to contact BanSar team.
BanSar will help you in all your shipping needs.