I know you want to buy from China fabric market.
Or, maybe you need more information about the fabric market in China.
That’s why today I am going to explore everything you should know about fabric from China.
Whether you want to know the documents you need, where to get fabrics, or importing documents – all answers are right here.
- Why Import Fabric from China?
- How Big is China Fabric market?
- Who is the Top Fabric Manufacturer in China?
- Types of Fabrics can you Import from China?
- Which are the Top China Fabric Market?
- What is the Best Time to Buy Fabric in China?
- What are some Important Tips when Buying Fabric in China?
- What is the Cost of Import Fabric from China?
- How many Duties will you Pay when Importing Fabric from China?
- How do you Verify Quality of Fabric from China?
- Which Quality Standards should Fabric and Textile conform to?
- Which Documents do you need to Import from China Fabric Market?
- How do you Ship from China Fabric Market?
- Are there Disadvantages of Buying Fabric from China?
- How do you get Best Prices from China Fabric Market?
- How does Zhongda Fabric Market compare to Guangzhou Fabric Market?
- What are the Benefits of Buying from China Textile City?
- Which Fabric Markets are found in Guangzhou?
- Are there Limitations of Buying from China Fabric Market?
- How do you Pay Suppliers in China Fabric Market?
- Which is the Cost-Effective Incoterm when Buying from China Fabric Market?
- How much do Warehouses Cost in China Fabric Market?
- Do you need a Sourcing Agent when Importing from China Fabric Market?
- Why should Hire Freight Forwarder when Importing from China Fabric Market?
- How do you get to China Fabric Market?
- What is the MOQ in China Fabric Market?
Why Import Fabric from China?
China is a big producer of fabrics worldwide and this explains why most fabric importers flock into China every year.
Here are some of the reasons why you should consider importing fabric from China.
Fabric from China
- Cost-effectiveness –One of the main agendas of importers is to save money as much and stick to the budget.
Shopping your fabric from China will make this easier for you since it’s easy to find fabrics at the best prices.
- Quality – “Quality” and “China” are two phrases that many thinks can’t fit in the same sentence but this is what I have to tell you.
China has quality fabrics.
This will depend on how well you select your supplier.
Just like any other market, you are bound to come across both quality and low-quality items.
Therefore, ensure that you do proper research and work with the right people.
- Customization – In China, you can get your fabric customized to suit your specifications.
Your fabric can be customized based on your color, pattern, and, design preferences.
- Higher profit margins –Purchasing your fabric at discounted prices will increase your business profits.
You might end up selling thrice the buying price and this equates to huge profit margins.
- Varieties – China has several fabric varieties and thus you will have a wider range to choose from.
To avoid time wastage when making your purchases, I’d recommend you know the type of fabric you want before heading to the market.
How Big is China Fabric market?
China is a key player on a global scale when it comes to the production and exportation of textiles.
In 2013 alone China exported $247 billion textiles which accounted for 43.15 of the total global exports.
As a result, it has maintained the title of the biggest textile industry globally.
Who is the Top Fabric Manufacturer in China?
With thousands of manufacturers and suppliers in China, selecting your ideal manufacturer can be quite a hassle.
To make your search much easier, here are some of the top fabric manufacturers in China;
- Lean Textile Co., Limited
- Wenzhou Hengji packing Co.Ltd
- Beta Textiles Co.Ltd
- TPC textiles
- Longda textiles
- Shandong Lawrance Textiles Co.Ltd
- K & M textiles
- Chinastars reflective
- China textiles Ltd
- Wujiang Wanshiyi Silk Co.Ltd
- Zhejiang Tianyuan Fabric Co.Ltd
- King Fabric
- Kinghan Textiles
- Yi Chun Textile
- Shangtext Holdings Co.Ltd
- Lu Thai Textile Co.Ltd
Types of Fabrics can you Import from China?
There are several types and designs of fabrics that you could import from China.
The fabrics mainly differ in terms of texture, patterns, color, and use.
Let’s have a look at some of the fabrics you can import from China.
- Silk fabric
- Lycra fabric
- Crepe Fabric
- Cotton fabric
- Synthetic leather fabric
- Linen fabric
- Velvel fabric
- Canvas fabric
- Lace fabric
- Polycotton fabric
- Polyester fabric
- Fiberglass fabric
- Denim fabric
- Houndstooth fabric
Which are the Top China Fabric Market?
Most of the top famous fabric markets are located in Guangzhou, China. Some of them include;
- Zhongda Fabric market
- Kyushu fabric market
- Guangzhou High sun string and cloth market
- Xiangxing fabric center
- Yinling curtain fabric wholesale market
- Wufeng lining and leather market
- Gz Changjiang textile town
- Zhujiang international textile town
- Guangzhou International textile town
Among all these markets, Zhongda is the largest fabric market hosting more than 4000 vendors.
The market hosts 20 market buildings meaning any type of fabric you could think of can be found here.
Not forgetting it is open all year round apart from holiday seasons.
Guangzhou international textile market is comprised of 7 floors mostly selling fabric and some accessories in-floor -1F.
Guangzhou highsun string and cloth market is located in Yanjiang east Road, Dongshan District in Guangzhou.
The types of fabrics sold here are middle to high grade and mainly comprise of home furnishing fabrics.
However, Highsun string market targets retailers and therefore it won’t be the ideal when purchasing in bulk.
What is the Best Time to Buy Fabric in China?
Most fabric markets are opened all year through from 9 am to 7 pm every day.
I would recommend that you do your shopping in the early hours of the morning as the markets are less crowded as compared to the afternoon hours.
However, most if not all shops remain closed during Chinese New Year for 20 days to a month.
What are some Important Tips when Buying Fabric in China?
- Sample the fabrics before making your purchase
- Carefully observe the color differences. Keep in mind that the different lighting used in the shop might have different shades that might bring out false colors.
- Ensure that you check the difference of the paper tube.
- Enquire to find out if your manufacturer sells by the yard, Kilogram, or meter. If they sell by kilogram confirm how many meters are in a kilogram. Woven fabrics are mostly sold by meters or yard and knitted fabrics by kilograms.
What is the Cost of Import Fabric from China?
Before commencing your importation process, you need to ensure that you have a clear budget on how much everything will cost.
Importation is not an easy task nor is it hard, it just depends on how well you have planned and the people you are working with.
For instance, when importing Fabric here are some of the cost factors you need to keep into consideration.
- Sourcing/freight forwarder costs – This will mostly apply if you choose to use a sourcing agent and freight forwarding companies.
- Shipment costs
- Import tax and duty
- Capital required to purchase your fabrics
These are just some of the main costs you will incur during importation.
There are several other costs come up in the process and therefore its wise to be well prepared.
How many Duties will you Pay when Importing Fabric from China?
You will be required to pay a duty of 20% when importing fabric from China.
Mostly, the import duty is calculated on the total amount of the fabrics, shipping cost as well as insurance cost.
Therefore, different types of products will attract different duties.
How do you Verify Quality of Fabric from China?
With thousands of fabrics in China, expect to find both quality and low-quality fabrics.
Being able to identify quality fabric is critical in ensuring that your business remains credible.
Unfortunately, this is where some importers fail and end up with low-quality fabrics.
To avoid such let’s first look at the main tests that any fabric should pass.
- Had feel test
- Color shading test
- Bow check
- Smell test
- Component test
- Scrunch test
- Colorfastness to perspiration check
- Care label instructions
- Machine wash test
- Flammability test
- Fabric fiber composition
That’s said, here are some expert ways to confirm the quality of your fabric;
- Perform the scrunch test to see how fast the fabric wrinkles. Ball the fabric in your fist and observe how fast the wrinkle disappears. A fabric that takes much longer to “unfold” is considered of higher quality.
- Check out for care instruction labels on the fabric as some fabrics wear and tear faster than others.
- Preform the “pull test”. Stretch the fabric and observe if it remains in shape. If it appears to be altered the probabilities are it’s of lower quality.
- Hold the cloth up to a bright source of light and observe its thickness. Thick fabrics tend to last much longer as compared to thinner ones.
Which Quality Standards should Fabric and Textile conform to?
There are several quality standards and regulations that fabrics and textiles should conform to.
Quality standards also ensure that the fabrics are safe for use.
Remember, these standards might defer from one country or region to the other.
Here are some of them;
Fabric from China
- Flammability requirements for different fabrics including camping tents.
- Warning labels for fabrics that cause suffocation
- GB 21550 -2006 standard restricts the use of hazardous materials in polyvinyl Chloride artificial leather.
- GB 5296.4 -2012 standard ensures instructions for use of products for consumer interest.
- GB 20400 -2006 standard Limits harmful matter in leather and fur.
There are hundreds of standards on textiles in China.
It’s important to assess the standards that your fabrics are required to meet before commencing your importation process.
Which Documents do you need to Import from China Fabric Market?
Documents are a major requirement whether during importation and exportation of goods.
Importing fabric from China will require you to have the following documents;
- Commercial invoice –A commercial invoice serves as proof of sale. In addition to that, it also denotes details about your cargo.
- Bill of lading – Not only does a bill of lading confirm ownership of your goods but it also serves as a receipt.
Also, it provides extra details about your shipment to facilitate smooth processing.
- Certificate of Origin –This certificate confirms that your goods have been manufactured and obtained from a particular country of origin.
- Insurance certificate –An insurance certificate will protect your goods against losses or damage.
It also outlines information about the insurance coverage of your goods.
- Proforma invoice – Not only does a proforma invoice describe items being purchased but also it helps in calculating the cost estimates of your cargo.
In addition to that, it provides additional information about the shipment of your goods.
- Packing list –Just as the name implies, a packing list comes in handy when packaging your cargo. It outlines all details regarding the type of products and packaging for your goods.
- Bill of exchange – A bill of exchange is used to request payment of a particular sum of money to be paid by the drawer to the drawee.
- Import license – An import license is normally issued by a national government to Authorize the importation of goods into the country.
How do you Ship from China Fabric Market?
Shipping fabric from China can be done through four main means including;
- Sea freight
- Rail freight
- Road freight
Airfreight is the costliest shipping method you could use when importing fabric from China.
It might cost you twice as much as compared to shipping bulky products via other means that I’m about to explain to you.
The brighter side of making use of air freight is that it’s the fastest.
Therefore, it would be the ideal means to use for urgent products such as samples or any other smaller parcels.
Sea freight is the commonly used shipping method by many importers reason being it’s quite economical.
It is the ideal shipping method when transporting bulky goods while at the same time staying on budget.
Remember, you don’t always have to do the shipping procedures single-handedly.
Freight forwarders in China are there to help in case you need some assistance.
With them, you will continue with your day to day activities as they take care of your shipment until its delivered.
Rail transport is another suitable shipping method for bulky goods.
The perk of using this means is that it’s faster than sea freight and less costly than air freight.
However, it doesn’t apply to all countries and it’s limited to countries connected to Chinese borders via rail.
For that reason, Asia and European countries are the main beneficiaries of this shipping method.
We can compare road freight to rail freight in the sense that both are convenient for countries connected via road transport with Chinese borders.
Nevertheless, road freight is applicable in all of the shipping methods mentioned above.
The reason I’m saying this is because you will need to transport your fabrics from your manufacturer to the port.
This is done via road freight.
The same applies to door to door shipping and transporting your goods from the port of delivery to your warehouse.
That said, you need to choose a shipping method that is suitable for you in terms of your budget and urgency.
Are there Disadvantages of Buying Fabric from China?
In as much as you have read or heard several benefits of importing fabric from China, there are cons.
being notified about these drawbacks is also of importance.
This way, you will acquire more knowledge when making purchases that will help you gauge different aspects.
Talking of disadvantages let’s find out below;
- Less fabric than what you pay for – It’s disappointing that you are bound to get less fabric than what you pay for.
This is mostly due to the paper tube difference.
For instance, if you are purchasing one roll of fabric, you will pay an additional number of yards.
- Less room for customization –This mostly applies to small purchasers. Some suppliers don’t allow customization of fabrics for smaller buyers.
You will need to buy thousands of meters to get a customized fabric.
- Less competitive – Purchasing from open market places like many other importers places you at less competition in the business.
This is because you end up buying the same fabrics that are already in the market.
This explains why big brands come up with their fabric.
Take for instance Gucci, Lacoste, and Louis Vuitton.
These big brands invest much in their fabrics to acquire the best and unique fabrics not sold by anyone else.
Their fabrics are patented and therefore no one can purchase such types.
Therefore, buying in the open market also has some drawbacks to it but that doesn’t mean that your business will fail.
There are several other strategies you could implement to stay in competition with other businesses.
How do you get Best Prices from China Fabric Market?
Every importer plans to get quality products at the best prices possible.
There are several ways that you could use to land yourself at the best prices when purchasing fabric from China.
Silk fabric from China
- Bargain – Bargaining is one of the most common ways used by most to get the best prices.
In as much as products are cheaper in China, bargaining is not new news there.
Most suppliers will place prices that will leave room for bargaining and therefore if you fail to bargain you end up losing much.
Start from as low as less than half the price and negotiate your way to the best price you can buy from the supplier.
Most if not all Chinese suppliers are used to this and therefore you shouldn’t feel like you are pushing them to the edge as such.
- Buy in Bulk –Buying in bulk is another tip. Most suppliers are willing to give larger discounts to bulk buyers as compared to small buyers.
- Buy directly from the factory –Buying directly from the factory guarantees you the best prices as compared to purchasing a supplier.
You will be able to effectively communicate with the manufacturer on a one on one basis and secure greater discounts on your current and future purchases too.
- Use a sourcing agent –Sourcing agents come in handy in several ways not excluding;
- They source products for you.
- Souring agents negotiate prices with your manufacturer.
- With a sourcing agent, you are free to continue with your day to day activities.
- Sourcing agents know the ins and outs of the business and therefore it’s difficult for them to be scammed.
- You won’t have to worry about checking the quality of your fabrics as your sourcing agents will effectively do that on your behalf.
- Sourcing agents will help you stick to your budget. Not only do they eliminate middlemen but also prevent you from being offered foreign prices rather than normal prices.
How does Zhongda Fabric Market compare to Guangzhou Fabric Market?
Zhongda fabric market is the biggest fabric market in China.
As compared to the Guangzhou fabric market, Zhongda has more suppliers.
On the other hand, the Guangzhou fabric market is suitable for import export trading from China making it suitable for international buyers.
What are the Benefits of Buying from China Textile City?
China Textile City
Located in Shaoxin in China, China’s textile city is one of the fabric markets frequented by most fabric buyers.
It has several groups of buildings making up a “textile city.”
Here are some of the benefits of purchasing from China Textile City;
- You will find quality fabrics from this city.
- China textile city has several wholesale markets with thousands of stalls.
- Being the biggest trade center globally, there are diverse designs, colors and patterns of fabrics in this city. The market has several textiles and it is one of the ideal ones to shop in bulk.
Which Fabric Markets are found in Guangzhou?
Guangzhou is the epicenter of popular fabric markets in China.
Here are some fabric markets in Guangzhou;
- Guangzhou textile exchange park
- Guangzhou Zhongda International fabric market
- Guangzhou Pearl river international fabric market
- China Ruikang accessories Lace wholesale market
- Zhongda Jiuzhou textile trade center
- China Yangtze river textile wholesale market
- Changjiang international accessories center
Are there Limitations of Buying from China Fabric Market?
Yes, there are limitations to buying from China fabric market.
- Language barrier – The language barrier is one of the major limitations when purchasing from China.
Most suppliers are not conversant with English and therefore doing business might be quite a challenge.
To make your work easier, you should have a translator or an agent when purchasing your fabrics in China.
- Less fabric than what you pay for – Due to the paper tube difference, you will get less fabric than what you pay for.
- Just like any other market, there are scammers and for that reason, you need to be extra careful when choosing your dealers.
- Quality – keep in mind, not all fabrics in China are quality fabrics. With several markets and thousands of shops expect to find low-quality fabrics as well.
Being able to identify such is key.
If you are not proficient in inspecting fabrics, consider hiring an agent to get the work done professionally.
- Some high-quality fabrics are patented by big brands leaving small businesses with commonly found fabrics.
How do you Pay Suppliers in China Fabric Market?
Chinese suppliers and manufacturers accept a couple of payment options nor excluding;
- TT transfers
- Wire transfers
- Online escrow
- Western union
- International credit cards
- Letter of credit
Among these payment methods, a Letter of credit would be the most secure one to use.
Some payment methods such as western union and International credit cards are known to be a target for scammers.
Therefore, ensure that you confirm your supplier’s payment details and credibility before sending money.
Which is the Cost-Effective Incoterm when Buying from China Fabric Market?
There are several incoterms available and choosing the right one will save you additional costs and inconveniences.
Before we get to the suitable incoterm to use when buying from China fabric market, let’s have a look at available incoterms;
When choosing an incoterm, you need to make sure that it plays in your favor in that you have control over your shipping costs.
Here are some of the best incoterms for buyers;
- FOB ( Freight on Board)
- DAP ( Delivery At Place)
- EXW ( Ex Works)
FOB not only requires the seller to transport goods to the port but also clear them for export and ensure that they are loaded into the ship.
You as the buyer will be required to hire a shipping agent therefore you will have control of the shipping expenses.
Remember, when using FOB the supplier’s responsibilities end as soon as the goods are loaded into the ship.
However, as a buyer, you will have more flexibility in terms of choosing routes together with price negotiation with your freight forwarder.
Delivery at place (DAP) is one of the cost-effective incoterms and has fewer responsibilities and risks for the buyer.
The major drawback of using this incoterm would be lacking control over your shipment.
That said, it’s advisable to weigh the options carefully before deciding to settle on this incoterm.
Ex Works (EXW) is a good option for buyers who are accustomed to the laws of the country.
In addition to that, your freight forwarder should be present to avoid any complications.
Remember with EXW you will be responsible for all the risks and costs incurred during the transportation of your goods.
That is, from the supplier to the desired destination.
How much do Warehouses Cost in China Fabric Market?
Due to the rise in demand for warehouse, the cost of a warehouse in China is on the rise.
Warehousing cost is mostly calculated per square meter.
The average cost of renting a warehouse in China is 43.4 Yuan per square meter per month.
Keep in mind that this could be lower or higher depending on certain factors such as location, type of warehouse, storage type, and amenities available just to mention a few.
Do you need a Sourcing Agent when Importing from China Fabric Market?
Not all buyers will need a sourcing agent when importing from China fabric market.
If you are familiar and have experience in the import/export trade then you wouldn’t need a sourcing agent as much.
On the other hand, amateurs in this industry will need a sourcing agent for a smooth importation process.
To avoid disappointments that come with first-time buying, I advise you to have a sourcing agent to work with as you will also learn from them.
A sourcing agent will be helpful in the following ways;
- Finding a suitable manufacturer – Instead of your researching for manufacturers of your fabric, a sourcing agent will easily do that for you. Their experience in the business places them in a better position to identify genuine and ideal manufacturers for your fabrics.
- Source for fabrics on your behalf – After identifying a suitable manufacturer they purchase your fabrics.
- Negotiate prices with your manufacturer – With a sourcing agent, you don’t need to worry about the language barrier.
Sourcing agents effectively negotiate prices with your manufacturer to ensure that they secure the best price for your fabrics.
- Spotting scams –As an amateur in the import/export industry, you could easily get scammed. However, a sourcing agent can easily spot such scams beforehand.
- Insect your fabrics – Sourcing agents will help in checking whether the quality of your fabrics meets your specified requirements.
Why should Hire Freight Forwarder when Importing from China Fabric Market?
Freight forwarders ensure that shipments are smoothly transported from the manufacturer to the final destination.
Freight forwarders prove to be of great help during your shipment process.
Here are some of the benefits of using a freight forwarder.
- They are cost-effective – they can effectively negotiate prices with carriers and secure the best prices for you.
- Freight forwarders ensure timely delivery of goods – Just like any other profession, freight forwarders must ensure that their clients’ shipping requirements are met.
For that reason, freight forwarders work on a strict schedule to ensure that goods are delivered at the expected time.
All routes are planned before shipping commences and alternative options are discussed in preparation for any unforeseen inconveniences.
- Freight forwarders are versatile – Freight forwarders are skilled in handling any unforeseen situations with immediate effect.
- Provision of a warehouse – Freight forwarders help in securing warehouse spaces for your cargo.
This applies once your goods await shipping and when they arrive at a foreign port.
- Custom clearance– Passing your goods through customs can be such an overwhelming procedure.
However, with a freight forwarder in the field, you won’t have to worry about such as they take care of every process on your behalf.
- Flexibility – Freight forwarders adapt swiftly to any sudden changes regarding your shipment.
How do you get to China Fabric Market?
Getting to China fabric market shouldn’t be quite a hassle.
Take for instance the largest fabric market in China, Zhongda.
The common means to get to the Zhongda fabric market is via the subway.
You can access this from Guangzhou South railway station or Guangzhou railway station.
From Guangzhou south railway station, use line 2 to Changgang and thereafter just 2 stations with line 8.
If you are coming from the airport, take line 3 and shift to line 8 at Kecun.
What is the MOQ in China Fabric Market?
MOQ refers to the minimum order quantity that a supplier is willing to sell.
The MOQ in China fabric market will vary from one manufacturer or supplier to the other.
The MOQ for fabrics ranges from as low as 1 meter to as high as 5,000 meters and more.
Certain factors such as the size of the factory and customization affect the MOQ.
Bigger factories tend to have higher MOQ on their products since producing smaller quantities would be a loss to them.
In addition to that, their types of machinery are customized to produce bigger orders.
Therefore, it would cost them to reset the entire production system.
The more complicated your customization appears the higher the MOQ.
This is because some parts will require a higher cost of production and take time to produce.
This in turn shoots up the MOQ.
At BanSar, we help you import textiles from China easily and faster by handling all logistics operations.
Contact BanSar today for all your freight forwarding needs.