If you’re looking to visit or buy from China leather market, then read this guide first.
It will help you save time and money, besides, finding better deals, knowing how to check the quality of shoes, amongst others.
Let’s take a look.
- How Big is China Leather Market?
- Which are the Leading China Leather Markets?
- Can you get Luxury Good in China Leather Market?
- Which Leather Product can you Import from China Wholesale Market?
- Why should you Buy from China Leather Market?
- What Types of Leather can you Import from China?
- Do you need a Sourcing Agent When Importing from China Leather Market?
- How do you get the Best Prices from China Leather Market?
- How do you Ship from China Leather Market?
- Are there Quality Standards for Leather Product from China?
- How do you Verify Quality in China Leather Market?
- What Challenges will you Encounter when Buying from China Leather Market?
- Are there Restrictions on Leather Imports from China?
- How does Freight Forwarder Help you Import from China Leather Market?
- Do Suppliers in China Leather Markets have Flexible MOQ?
- Who are the Leading Leather Suppliers in China?
- Is there Online China Leather Market?
- How do you Pay Suppliers in China Leather Market?
- When is the Best Time to Buy from China Leather Market?
- What Documents do you need to Import from China Leather Market?
- How do you Identify Fake Leather from in China Leather Market?
- How much Duty will you Pay to Import Leather from China?
How Big is China Leather Market?
China leads not only in the production but also exportation of leather globally.
More than 6.15 billion sq ft leather is produced every year in China.
In 2020 alone it is estimated that the sale revenue from luxury leather products amounted to $7,243m.
On the other hand, revenue from leather footwear has grown in the year 2020 mounting to $9759.
This quite much explains why China remains to top the production of leather globally.
Which are the Leading China Leather Markets?
There are several leather markets in china some of the leading markets including;
- Guangzhou Baiyun World leather trading Centre
- Guangzhou Hongsheng Nations Leather Hardware Market
- Fair Price Leather wholesale market
- Huadu Shiling International Leather City
- Yi Sen Leather Market
- Leather products Wholesale market of Baigou
- Leather products wholesale market of Hehuachi Si Chuang
- Xiangmao Leather city
- Zhonggang Leather City
- Xiangsheng Leather City
- Xiangtian Leather city
- Guihua Gang Leather bags market
- Guangzhou Leather market
- Leather product wholesale market of Yiwu, Zhenjiang
- Nantai Bags and Cases Leather products wholesale market of Liaoning
- Zhuolong Leather Wholesale Market
- Qianse Leatherwear Wholesale Market
- Shengyi Leather Market
- Parklane Leather City
- Jinyi Leatherware Plaza
- Yifa Leather City
- Mingju Leather Trade Center
- Tianhong Leather City
- Senmai Leather City
- Ziyuan Leather Mall
- Shengjia Leather Center
- Xingan Leather World
Can you get Luxury Good in China Leather Market?
Yes, you can get luxury products in China leather market.
Some of the well-known brands such as Prada, Dolce & Gabbana, Burberry have their production done in China.
China has several luxury leather markets that sell a diverse range of products.
Therefore, be ready to be spoilt for choices in the market.
Which Leather Product can you Import from China Wholesale Market?
You can import any type of leather product you could think of from China.
Here are some of the leather products you might consider importing from the China Wholesale Market.
- Furniture cover
Why should you Buy from China Leather Market?
There are several reasons why most importers choose to import leather from china and not from other countries.
One thing you need to understand is that every importer seeks to get quality products at the lowest price possible.
This is purposefully meant to ensure that the business profits are increased while at the same time remain credible to their customers.
That said, China stands to be a suitable option for most leather importers.
Let’s have a look at some of the reasons;
- Affordability – Most if not all goods produced in China are sold at relatively affordable prices.
You could easily buy a product and sell it three times more than the buying prices.
The lower prices of products are due to the lower labor costs and availability of raw materials.
- Customization –When planning to import from China, you might choose to seek customization services for your products.
Most Chinese manufacturers are willing to customize your leather products to meet your tastes and preferences.
- Quality – Quality is very critical in ensuring that your business remains credible to your customers.
You are bound to come across both qualities as well as low-quality products in China.
The key here would be to do your research thoroughly and work with the right people.
Also, be aware that manufacturers are not the right people to seek advice on the quality of your leather.
In as much as you might think they are the best fit for this, they aren’t.
Most expect you to provide details and instructions on your preferred leather selection.
Failure to do so might result in disappointments later after production.
- A diverse range of leather designs – Any type of leather product you could think of can easily be sourced from China leather market.
Whether you want leather bags, shoes, belts, or watch just to mention a few you can find from the several available leather markets.
- Availability of raw materials –The availability of raw materials for leather products is one of the top reasons that result in affordable prices.
Not to mention that you won’t have to worry about the delay of raw materials being imported as they are readily available.
- Uniqueness – Most of the Chinese manufacturers and suppliers follow emerging trends in the leather industry.
Therefore, expect to come across several unique leather products in the market.
- High-profit margin –Leather products in China are cheaper as compared to purchasing from other countries.
You can purchase leather and sell thrice the buying price thereby increasing your profit margins.
However, you also need to be aware of scammers who purport to be selling genuine leather.
Not all leather is genuine and not all expensive leather is genuine.
Get me right, some of the scammers are smart and will present higher prices for fake leather.
Therefore, it’s important to do your research well before embarking on your purchasing process.
If not, hire an expert to source leather products for you.
What Types of Leather can you Import from China?
Any type of leather can be imported from China. Let’s have a look at some of them;
- Split leather
- Full-grain leather
- Corrected grain leather
- Top grain leather
- Nubuck Sueded grain leather
- Bonded or fiber leather
- Bicast leather
Do you need a Sourcing Agent When Importing from China Leather Market?
No, you don’t need a sourcing agent when importing from China leather market.
However, if you are a newbie in the business a China sourcing agent will be of importance in several ways that I’m about to explain.
If you choose to do all the sourcing by yourself ensure that you carefully study the market before indulging in making your purchases.
Here are some of the benefits of hiring a sourcing agent when importing leather from china.
- Avoid being scammed –Sourcing agents are experienced and skilled in what they do in a manner that they can easily spot a scammer.
This way you don’t have to worry about being ripped off while sourcing for your leather products.
- Help you navigate the market effectively – Knowing which market is best for what and the best suppliers for your product is key.
Sourcing agents will save you time when trying to get the right market for your leather products.
- Negotiate prices on your behalf –Owing to their vast network and experience, sourcing agents have the skill to effectively negotiate prices with different suppliers.
- Source product on your behalf – Working with a sourcing agent allows you to continue with your daily routines as they handle all your purchasing processes.
- Identify suitable manufacture or supplier – Identifying the ideal manufacturer for your products would be the first step of your importation process.
Some importers find it quite challenging as there are several manufacturers in the market.
Sourcing agents can identify a suitable manufacturer without much hassle as they have established networks with several of them.
- Break language barrier –China is one of the countries where English is not known by many and this might have a major impact on your sourcing process.
To avoid this, you can choose to hire a sourcing agent to purchase your selected products on your behalf.
By so doing, you not only save time but also avoid misunderstanding during your purchase.
How do you get the Best Prices from China Leather Market?
The good thing about shopping in China leather market or even any other Chinese market is that it’s easy to get the best prices on items.
Therefore, most importers flock to the market intending to buy quality products at the best prices.
What most importers won’t tell you is that you need to be extra skillful when purchasing in these markets.
By this I mean you not only need to be knowledgeable on how Chinese suppliers operate but also how to get the best prices.
Here are some important tips for you;
- Bargain – Some importers are easily lured to fast buying due to the already affordable quoted prices on products.
This is a big mistake if so you are looking forward to buying at the best prices.
Often, the prices quoted are achieved after the supplier has considered the bargaining rate of the customer.
Therefore, it’s very important to always bargain.
I recommend that you start from lower than half the price quoted and negotiate your way to reach equilibrium.
- Buy directly from the factory – Another trick to land at unbeatable prices would be through making direct purchases from the factory.
Most Chinese leather manufacturers are not mean when it comes to offering larger discounts on bulk purchases.
You will be surprised at how much profit you might end up earning from doing this.
Remember, buying directly from the factory also eliminates middlemen and thus reduced prices on products.
- Make bulk purchases – Buying in bulk is advantageous as you are more than likely to get discounted rates on your purchases.
The more you buy the more the discount you get.
How do you Ship from China Leather Market?
Shipping from the China Leather market shouldn’t be such a hassle.
One advantage of importing from China is the flexibility in shipping as it has several ports.
There are four main methods through which you can ship leather from China;
The choice of your shipping method will depend on these three main factors;
- Distance – Air and sea freight are ideal for longer distances.
- Urgency –Air freight being the fastest of them all is suitable for transporting urgent goods.
- Size of shipment –Sea freight is a suitable method to use if you are importing bulky goods and want to save on costs.
That said, Air freight is the fastest yet the most expensive of them all.
Owing to this it is not preferred by most big exporters due to its high prices.
Most importers use sea freight as not only is it cost-effective but also suitable for transporting bulky products.
The only disadvantage of using sea freight is that it is the slowest of them all.
Therefore, you will have to wait several days or weeks before receiving your products.
Alternatively, you can choose to use rail transport as it is faster than sea freight and less costly than air freight.
The use of rail freight will mostly apply to countries that border China or are connected to China via a railway transport network.
Road freight is always present in any type of importation.
Remember, you will need to transport your goods from the supplier/ manufacturer to the warehouse.
Thereafter your goods can be packed and shipped to the stated destination.
Are there Quality Standards for Leather Product from China?
Yes, there are quality standards for leather products from China.
Let’s have a look at some of them below;
High-quality Chinese leather
- The leather product should have a genuine leather mark that certifies the quality of the leather product.
- Any leather product should undergo chemical testing.
Chemical testing is meant to identify certain restricted chemical substances in leather products.
- Leather products should comply with international inspection quality tests. Some of the compliance inspection quality tests include
- Physical test
- Ignitability tests
- Fastness tests
- Comprehensive analysis
- Individual chemical test
- Specialist leather testing
- Biochemistry and microbiology test
How do you Verify Quality in China Leather Market?
Quality verification is key if so you want to remain reliable to your customers.
To achieve this, here are some tips for you.
- Check out for quality marks –Quality marks confirm that the product has undergone testing and inspection.
Thus, they meet all the required quality standards.
- Quality leather has natural rough edges as opposed to smooth and perfect edges seen in fake leather.
- You can identify quality leather just by taking a whiff.
Quality leather always has a smell that can’t be replicated.
You could first test with some of the leather items you have and identify the distinctive smell of leather.
- Study the pores and patterns in the leather.
The pores and patterns in quality and real leather will be inconsistent.
Low quality or fake leather will have consistent pores and patterns that appear to have a repetitive pattern.
- Check the label and confirm if it has any “manmade materials” writing on it as this is a clear indication that it’s not quality leather.
Also, beware of leather products with no label as they might be made of low quality or fake leather.
What Challenges will you Encounter when Buying from China Leather Market?
Just like any importation process, you are bound to encounter some challenges. Some of the shortcomings you might encounter when buying from China leather market are not limited to;
- Language barrier –The language barrier is one of the major challenges because China is a non-English speaking country.
To make your work easier, you might either choose to use a sourcing agent or translator during your buying process.
- Low-quality products – When planning to buy from China markets expect to find both quality and low-quality products.
This includes leather products.
To evade purchasing low-quality products, do your due diligence and research about your product.
Seek to identify the key players in the market together with their reviews. By this, I mean known suppliers or manufacturers.
Alternatively, you can take the shorter route and hire sourcing agents to take care of all your sourcing procedures.
- Scammers– Just like any market, expect to come across scammers when buying from China leather market.
You can easily identify a scammer by checking the product price.
Too good to be true prices should be an instant red flag.
- Unavailability of some products on stock – Keep in mind, not all suppliers keep stock of their products.
Some might require you to make order days or weeks before you receive your leather products.
This in turn causes delays in your business.
Are there Restrictions on Leather Imports from China?
Yes, there are. This mostly depends on your country’s regulations.
The restrictions mostly differ from one country to the other.
It’s important to confirm your country’s restrictions before importing leather from China.
How does Freight Forwarder Help you Import from China Leather Market?
Freight forwarders make your importation process much simpler and easier due to the following reasons;
- Identify storage space for your goods – Freight forwarders are responsible for identifying the proper storage of your products.
Not to mention that they also pick your products from your supplier or manufacturer and transport to the selected warehouse.
- Handle your custom clearance procedures – Custom clearance is often a very hectic procedure.
This is when you are required to present all your documentation.
Freight forwarders make your work easier by handling all these on your behalf leaving you to continue with your daily routines.
- Versatility – In case you decide to make any changes, freight forwarders are quick to adapt.
- Cost-effective – Owing to their experience in the field freight forwarders have established connections and this helps them get better rates.
- Timely delivery of goods –Freight forwarders plan routes taken by the freight and work on a strict schedule to ensure timely delivery of goods.
- Freight forwarders also help in selecting the packaging equipment for your products.
Do Suppliers in China Leather Markets have Flexible MOQ??
Yes, they do. You can always negotiate MOQ with your supplier more so if it will be of mutual benefit.
However, you need to understand that most suppliers find it difficult to lower their MOQ.
Therefore, you need to have a good strategy to convince them.
Also, the MOQ might differ from one supplier to the other due to the following factors;
- Size of products –The smaller the size the higher the MOQ and vice versa.
- Customization – Customized products will attract a higher MOQ.
- Type of product –Cheap products such as pens will have a higher MOQ.
- Availability of raw materials – Subcontractors might request a specific number of orders on the raw materials which in turn leads to an increase in MOQ.
- Factory size – Bigger and established factories often quote a higher MOQ on their products as compared to smaller factories.
Who are the Leading Leather Suppliers in China?
With several leather suppliers in China, it might be difficult to identify your suitable or best suppliers.
To make your work easier, here are some of the leading leather suppliers in China;
- Guangzhou Huashone PU Leather Co.Ltd
- Jiangyin LaishunPlastic company
- Wenzhou Haoshan Import & export Co.Ltd
- Wenzhou Simple Trading Co.Ltd
- Sole World Material Co.Ltd
- Jiangsu Albrich Textile Co.Ltd
- Wenzhou Fangchi International Trade Corporation Ltd
- Yobon industrial Limited
- Ningbo K.G International Trade Co.Ltd
- Guangzhou Dashang Leather Technology Co.Ltd
Is there Online China Leather Market?
Yes, there is.
With the current trends in technology, most manufacturers and suppliers are expanding their operations towards online platforms.
If you don’t wish to physically visit the market, here are some of the online platforms that you might consider sourcing from;
Leather for sale on Alibaba
- Made In China
- Global Sources
How do you Pay Suppliers in China Leather Market?
China suppliers accept a wide range of payment options not excluding;
- Telegraphic transfers – Telegraphic transfers are one of the widely accepted payment methods in China by most suppliers.
However, the risks will be borne by both you and the suppliers.
For this reason, most suppliers request for deposit in a bid to lower their risk.
- International Credit Cards – International credit cards are not broadly used in China owing to the risks involved.
Not forgetting that International credit cards are often prone to scammers and therefore you will also be at risk.
This makes most suppliers have low trust in using them.
- PayPal– Payment using PayPal is mostly suitable for small purchases.
Also, it’s not widely accepted by most suppliers owing to the high amount of fees involved.
- Letter of Credit – Letter of credit would be the best payment option when making huge purchases.
Not to mention that it is secure for both you and the supplier and thus widely accepted.
- Western Union –If you are making small to medium-sized transactions, Western Union would be the ideal option for you.
However, it’s important to factor in the high risks involved.
Ensure that you trust your supplier before making any transactions through western union as there is little protection once a transaction is made.
- Cash – Cash payment would be a risky payment method for the buyer in case you are dissatisfied with the goods.
- Online escrow – Online escrow works by allowing the buyer to send payment which is then withheld by a third-party until the set terms are met.
To ensure the effectiveness of this payment method, verify the conditions surrounding quality, product design, compliance, and quantity.
When is the Best Time to Buy from China Leather Market?
When planning to buy from China leather market it’s important to check on the Chinese calendar.
This will help you know when the public holidays are held.
Try to avoid these dates as most businesses remain closed during such periods.
Also, most shops open from as early as 9.30 am and close at 6 pm.
Arriving at the market shortly after opening time gives the vendors time to clean and prepare their businesses.
Leave before closing time preferably from 3 pm or 4 pm to avoid being caught up in traffic.
What Documents do you need to Import from China Leather Market?
Documentation is an important aspect of the import-export business.
Some of the documents that you will need when importing from China leather market are not limited to;
- Bill of exchange
- Packing list
- Pro forma invoice
- Inspection certificate
- Certificate of origin
- Import license
- Bill of lading
- Commercial invoice
How do you Identify Fake Leather from in China Leather Market?
Having the skill to determine the credibility of leather is important especially as a business person.
This will not only ensure the credibility of your business but also enhance your business growth.
If you don’t have the skills to do so, here are some tips for you;
- Check the edges. Real leather has rough edges while fake leather tends to have perfectly done edges
- Dot the fire test. Light up a flame near the leather and observe the reaction and smell.
Real leather smells like burnt hair while artificial leather will have a burning plastic smell.
- Another quick way to test for leather would be through smell.
First, you need to have smelled real leather to know the difference.
Therefore, go to a store that you know sells real leather and smell it then you will have an idea of what to check out for when testing leather.
Alternatively, if you have any leather product you could smell it beforehand.
- Be observant of the pricing. Real leather is always pricier as compared to fake leather.
Any too good to be true prices should be a red flag.
It’s hard to find cheap genuine leather and additionally, most leather is sold at a fixed price.
- Splash some water on the surface of the leather and observe the absorption rate.
Genuine leather absorbs some water while fake leather doesn’t.
- Check the weight as genuine leather weighs heavier as compared to fake leather.
Color shouldn’t be a determinant when confirming the realness of leather.
There is colored leather that is genuine and therefore it’s important to focus on the above-listed checks.
How much Duty will you Pay to Import Leather from China?
The import duty charged when importing leather from China ranges from 5% to 7%.
This mostly depends on the animal used as different animals will provide different types of leather.
At BanSar, we help you save on cost and time when importing from China leather market.
Additionally, we help you book space when shipping – and all these at affordable rates.
Contact us today to boost your leather business.