If you want to explore or buy from China textile market, then this is a must-read guide for you.
It covers all the crucial aspects of the textile market in China such as benefits, quality compliance, documents, shipping options, and getting the best prices, just to mention a few.
Keep reading to learn more.
- What are the Benefits of Buying Textiles in China?
- How Large is China Textile Market?
- How do you get High-Quality textiles from China?
- Which are the Top China Textile Market?
- Who are the Leading China Textile Manufacturers in China?
- Are there Limitations of Buying Textile in China?
- How to Pay Supplier in China Textile Market?
- Which Incoterm can you use when Importing from China Textile Market?
- Which Types of Textile can you Import from China?
- How much Taxes/Duties will you Pay for Textile from China?
- How do you Access China Textile Market?
- What are the Benefits of Hiring Freight forwarders when Buying from China Textile Market?
- Why Hire Sourcing Agent when Buying from China Textile Market?
- What is the MOQ when importing from China Textile Market?
- What are the Quality Standards for Textile from China?
- How do you Test the Quality of Textiles from China?
- How do you Test Quality Fabric from China?
- Which Documents do you need to Import from China Textile Market?
- How do you Ship Textile from China?
- How do you get the Best Prices from China Textile Market?
- What should you ask when sourcing for Fabric in China?
- What are the Common Fabric Defects to look for when Sourcing from China Fabric Market?
- How do you Find Reliable Fabric Supplier in China?
What are the Benefits of Buying Textiles in China?
There are several reasons why most textile importers import from China.
This owes to the several benefits that come with importing textiles from China.
Let’s have a look at some these benefits below;
Textile market in China
- Cost-effectiveness – Price is China’s biggest advantage to all importers.
Even though products already cost less, you also have room to negotiate on the prices.
Meaning you could end up purchasing your textile at relatively lower prices and resell it at thrice the buying prices.
- Uniqueness – With the several types of textiles available in China textile market, finding unique textiles isn’t a hassle as such.
Depending on the color, pattern, design, and material you can easily find unique textiles in China.
Ofcourse with proper research.
- Quality – As a business person, providing quality products should be your topmost priority.
In as much as there are substandard products in China, finding quality textiles isn’t a hard task as perceived.
Big brands also source their products from China and this tells you how easily you could also find quality textiles in the China textile market.
The key factor here is to work with genuine people.
I’m referring to finding a genuine supplier or sourcing agent for your purchasing processes.
If you’re new in this industry, then the best option would be to work with a sourcing agent.
By so doing you avoid any unforeseen first-time disappointments.
Additionally, you also get to learn about the market while at the same time have a smooth importation process for your textiles.
- Customization –Most if not all Chinese suppliers offer customization services to their clients. Therefore, you can come up with your preferred choice of textile and they shall be willing to manufacture it based on your taste and preferences.
- Variety – China’s textile market is big worldwide. What this tells you is that there are a variety of textiles that you could buy from China.
To avoid time wastage in the market, always have a clear idea of what you want to purchase before heading to the market.
- Huge profit margins – the cost-effective nature of textiles in china will guarantee you huge profit margins for your business.
You can easily buy textiles and sell at thrice the buying price and thus it’s financially rewarding.
How Large is China Textile Market?
China’s textile industry is the largest globally both in production and exports.
In 2013 alone China exported textiles worth $247 billion rankings it top worldwide.
This accounts for more than half of the global output with the international market share exceeding one-third of the global shares.
China has retained the top position till date.
China Textile industry
How do you get High-Quality textiles from China?
There are several textiles in the market and therefore differentiating all might be quite a hassle.
Nevertheless, for you to get quality textiles from China you can opt to use a sourcing agent.
A sourcing agent is experienced in the specific field and will get you genuine suppliers with quality textiles.
On the other hand, if you choose to source by yourself the first thing would be to get a genuine supplier.
Reputable brands are known to have quality products and therefore do your research using the multiple online resources available.
Be cautious of the very cheap textiles.
As the saying goes when the deal is too good think twice.
Perform tests and confirm that the textiles you are purchasing are of high quality.
If you doubt your skills in assessing textiles, I advise that you get an agent for that purpose.
Never assume or take risks as this might result in huge negative impacts on your business later.
Which are the Top China Textile Market?
When shopping from China, you are bound to come across several textile markets.
However, here are the top textile markets that should not miss on your list;
- Shaoxin textile market
- Guangzhou textile market
- Shenzhen wholesale textile market
- China textile city
China textile market
Who are the Leading China Textile Manufacturers in China?
Getting the right manufacturer will not only determine the quality of your textiles but also the efficiency of the entire importation process.
With thousands of manufacturers in China, getting the ideal one for your products will need you to do thorough research.
To make your work easier, here are some of the top-ranked textile manufacturers in china.
- Lu Thai Textile Co Ltd
- Shandong Jining Ruyi Woolen textile Co Ltd
- Jiangsu Hengli Group
- Shijiazhuang Changshan Textile Co Ltd
- Shangtex Holding Co Ltd
- Shandong Demian Incorporated Company
- Huafu Top Dyed Melange Yarn Co Ltd
- Huafang textile Co Ltd
- Weiqiao textile Co Ltd
Are there Limitations of Buying Textile in China?
Yes, there are. Some of the drawbacks that come with purchasing textiles from China are not limited to;
- Language barrier –Most Chinese don’t speak English and therefore language barrier is one of the biggest challenges you will encounter.
Nevertheless, you can choose to use sourcing agents or translators to get the communication work done effectively.
- Scammers – Just like any other market, don’t be surprised to encounter scammers when buying from china textile markets.
One of the most common ways to be alerted would be being presented with too good to be true offers.
Having the skill to identify scammers is crucial when buying from any market.
- Low-quality textiles – China is known to be home to every product that you need.
By this, I mean both quality and low-quality textiles are in the market.
That said, it’s essential to conduct tests on your textiles before diving into making purchases. After the supplier testing process, have an inspection team test your textiles too.
- There is less room for customization. This mostly applies to small purchasers. Most suppliers will require you to make bulk purchases for them to customize your order.
- Less competitive –Buying textile that all other importers also purchase reduces the competition in the market.
This explains why big brands choose to have their textiles and fabrics patented to prevent any other brand from using or selling the same product.
That way they effectively compete among other textile businesses in the market.
How to Pay Supplier in China Textile Market?
There are several ways in which you can choose to pay Chinese textile suppliers.
Let’s have a look at some of them;
- International credit cards
- Telegraphic transfers
- Online escrow
- Western Union
- Letter of credit
Keep in mind that not all payment methods are safe to use and not all are accepted by the different suppliers in China.
For instance, most suppliers do not advocate for PayPal owing to the high fees involved.
PayPal would be ideal for small transactions as the fee paid also rises with the size of the transaction.
On the other hand, Western Union and international credit cards are a target for scammers.
Unless you trust the supplier, you should not consider using Western Union as you will have very little protection once you make your transaction.
In addition to that Western union is ideal for small to medium-sized transactions.
Just like Western Union, paying cash leaves you at a higher risk as compared to your supplier.
This will be evident in the case of dissatisfaction with your goods.
All in all, cash is accepted by most suppliers in China and you could also get cash discounts from the same.
However, it’s always wise to confirm the credibility of your supplier before making any payments.
The reason I’m saying this is because some scammers pretend to be genuine suppliers and turn out to be otherwise.
International Telegraphic transfers are widely accepted by most suppliers.
Nonetheless, both you and the supplier are subjected to risks.
As such, most suppliers will request a deposit in a bid to lower their risks which in turn increases yours.
A letter of credit is one of the best payment methods to use as it is secure for both parties.
In addition to that, it is the ideal option for making big transactions.
Not forgetting that it’s widely accepted by larger suppliers together with international trading companies.
Note that the fees are higher and more paperwork is involved therefore getting professional assistance during your first transaction would be the proper way to do it.
Which Incoterm can you use when Importing from China Textile Market?
There are several incoterms you could use when importing from China textile market.
Let’s have a look at them below;
The best incoterm is one that keeps you in control of your shipping. FOB is the most favorable incoterm to use when importing from china textile market.
With FOB you will be required to transport your goods to the port and clear them for export.
You will also be responsible for loading the cargo into the ship and that’s when your responsibilities will end.
FOB allows you to have the responsibility of your shipment as you will also hire your shipping agent.
This places you in a better position to effectively negotiate prices with your freight forwarder and choose routes that you prefer.
The next best option would be EXW. Keep in mind that when using this incoterm, all risks and responsibilities will be borne by you.
Which Types of Textile can you Import from China?
China has a wide variety of textiles that you could import.
Textiles are made from four main sources including mineral, animal, plant, and synthetic.
They are mainly classified into two categories; natural and synthetic textiles.
Natural textiles that you can import from china include;
Synthetics textiles are not limited to;
- Polar fleece
How much Taxes/Duties will you Pay for Textile from China?
Import duty is always calculated against the totals sum of the import value as declared by customs.
Keep in mind that this might vary from one country to the other depending on factors such as custom rules and regulations.
Take for instance you have bought textiles worth USD 200,000 with the duty rate being 15%.
The duty will be calculated as 15% of USD 200,000. Therefore you will pay a duty of USD 30,000.
On average the VAT in China stands at 13%.
How do you Access China Textile Market?
China textile market is spread over a couple of cities in China such as;
Most of the markets in these cities are accessed through the train. From the airport, you will take different lines depending on the market that you are heading to.
For instance, to access Zhongda from the airport, you take line 3 and once you arrive at Kecun you shift to line 8.
Taxis and other means of public transport such as buses are also used to access the textile markets in China.
What are the Benefits of Hiring Freight forwarders when Buying from China Textile Market?
There are several reasons why most importers hire a freight forwarder when importing from China.
Freight forwarders are of great benefit due to the following reasons;
- Cost-effectiveness – Freight forwarders easily negotiate prices with the various carriers on your behalf.
Remember that the language barrier is one of the main limitations during your importation process.
Therefore, freight forwarders make this much simpler.
- Flexibility – Freight forwarders can easily adapt to any sudden changes concerning your shipment.
- Versatility – While shipping your textiles, there might be a couple of unforeseen situations that might affect your shipping process.
In such instances, freight forwarders are skilled in swiftly coming up with immediate solutions.
- Provision of a warehouse –With a freight forwarder you won’t have to worry about the storage for your goods.
They provide warehouse solutions in any of the ports whether in a foreign or the local port where loading is carried out.
- Timely delivery – Just like any other profession, freight forwarders work on a strict schedule to ensure that they meet their client’s delivery time.
- Custom clearance –Custom clearance is one of the most hectic shipping procedures.
Hiring a freight forwarder will mean that they will take care of your customs clearance on your behalf.
They allow you to continue with your day to day activities without having to worry about your shipment.
Why Hire Sourcing Agent when Buying from China Textile Market?
Importation entails a lot of processes that might be quite overwhelming for any importer.
As a result, most would prefer to use a sourcing agent just to cut down the legwork and other unforeseen challenges involved.
Talking of sourcing agents, below are some reasons why you should consider hiring one when buying from China textile market.
- Spotting scams –Owing to their experience in the industry, sourcing agents can easily spot scams.
- Identify the ideal manufacturer –Sourcing agents have built networks with several types of manufacturers over the years.
Owing to this, they can easily get you an ideal and genuine manufacturer or supplier for your textiles.
Keep in mind that they choose the best of the suppliers in the market with the best quality products.
- Cut off communication barriers –Since Chinese is the main language in China, communication is such a huge challenge.
The language barrier affects communication with suppliers and other business people involved in your importation.
Sourcing agents eliminate this as they can easily communicate in both languages and thus facilitate smooth purchasing.
- Source products –With a sourcing agent, you won’t have to worry about where to get your textile from.
They are responsible for making sure that they get you the required type of textile that matches your quality specifications.
- Negotiate prices – Think of sourcing agents as your business partner.
They represent you.
This includes negotiating prices with suppliers to get the best prices for your textiles.
Remember, the main job of a sourcing agent is to get quality goods at lower prices on your behalf.
- Reduce legwork – With a sourcing agent on the ground, you can continue with your day to day activities.
All the sourcing procedures are taken care of by your sourcing agent.
- Perform tests on your textiles –Performing tests on your textiles before purchasing is essential. Testing will help tell whether the textiles meet your required quality standards.
Sourcing agents will conduct this on your behalf.
They ensure that they test the textile to confirm that they are meet the required quality.
What is the MOQ when importing from China Textile Market?
The MOQ is not fixed.
It varies from one supplier to the other owing to a few factors such as;
- Size of the purchase – Big purchases will attract higher MOQ as compared to smaller purchases.
- Customization –customized textiles will have a higher MOQ keeping in mind that some require unique materials that might cost higher.
- Sizes of the factory – Bigger factories always have a higher MOQ as compared to smaller factories.
The manufacturing capability is larger and therefore their producing machines are designed to make larger productions. As a result, MOQ becomes higher.
MOQ for textile in China ranges from as low as 1 kilogram to 10,000 kilograms and more.
Most Chinese suppliers are difficult to convince when it comes to negotiating MOQ not unless the proposal benefits them.
Meaning you can negotiate if your proposal will be of mutual benefit otherwise most will be reluctant to do so.
What are the Quality Standards for Textile from China?
Textiles from China are required to conform to the set quality standards some of which include;
- GB /T 2912.1 which regulates measurements of formaldehyde content on different classes of textiles.
- GB/T 7573 regulates the PH value used in the various classes of textiles. Failure to this might result in some textiles causing skin irritation.
- GB/T 5296.4 ensures that the labeling requirements are met with the size, fiber content, care instructions, product quality classification, and standard codes appearing on the label.
- GB 18401 determines the odors.
- Azo dyes are measured against GB/T 17592.1. This standard is meant to protect the end user form carcinogenic aromatic amines.
How do you Test the Quality of Textiles from China?
As a business person, quality should be your topmost priority.
Performing quality tests on your textiles are of great importance especially in China where you are bound to easily find both quality and low-quality textiles.
Some of the test performed in textiles are not limited to;
- Colorfastness test
- Shrinkage test
- Tensile test
- PH test
- Fabric width test
- GSM test
- Tearing test
- Running fastness test
- Shade matching test
The fast and easiest way would be hiring an agent or an inspection company as they are professionally trained for such tasks.
Some textiles wear out faster than others and therefore ensure that you carefully check the instruction labels.
Perform the “scrunch test” to test how fast the textile wrinkles once folded.
Fold the textile into a ball and release it.
If it unfolds faster chances are that the textile is on lower quality.
To test for tears, stretch out the textile and observe if it maintains the same state.
If it appears to be worn out this is a clear indication of low quality.
You can as well test for colorfastness by dumping a white cloth and rubbing it against the colored textile.
If the color transfers then the textile is not colorfast.
Meaning, the color will shade when it’s washed.
Conduct the tensile test by placing two textiles between grips to clamp the textile.
Take the gripped end of the textile and apply some weight while maintaining the opposite fixed end.
Measure the change in length of the textile sample as you increase the weight.
GSM (Grams per Square Meter) tests are carried out using a GSM checking machine.
On the other hand, tests such as PH tests are performed in the laboratory using chemicals therefore this might require you to have an inspection agent in place.
How do you Test Quality Fabric from China?
To test quality fabric from China, you first need to understand the various tests applicable.
Let’s have a look at them below;
- Flammability test
- Tensile properties
- Resistance tests
- Thermal tests
- Seam strength
- Weather tests
- Fiber identification tests
- Eco testing
- Scrunch test
- Machine wash test
- Fabric composition test
- Component test
- Surface coating tests
- Color shading test
- Harmful chemical and heavy metal test
You can perform a scrunch test on the fabric by balling the fabric in your fist then release and observe how fast it unravels.
The longer it takes to unfold the higher the quality.
Test the flammability of your fabric by lowering a flame towards the fabric sample for one second.
The flame should be positioned at a 45-degree angle.
Observe how fast the flame spreads over the fabric and use a timer to calculate the time taken.
Fabric flammability is normally affected by factors such as fabric weight, fiber content, fabric material, and finishing.
Check if your fabric shades color by rubbing a dump white cloth against the fabric and observe whether the color transfers.
If it does, know that the fabric will shade color when washing.
PH and harmful chemical and metal tests are performed in the laboratory.
The components that affect the PH value are extracted from the textile in liquid form and tested using a PH meter.
Stretch the fabric up to a bright source of light and check its thickness.
A thick fabric guarantees you durability as compared to thin ones.
Another way to determine the quality of the fabric is by conducting the pull test.
Stretch the fabric and observe whether its shape is altered as this indicates low-quality fabric.
Keep in mind that the tests vary from one region to the other.
Working with an inspection company or agent would be ideal.
Never be comfortable with your supplier’s tests as they are not reliable.
In the long run, you are looking to gain your customer’s trust and satisfaction and therefore quality should always come first.
Which Documents do you need to Import from China Textile Market?
Documents are essential when importing or exporting items from any foreign country including China.
For a successful importation process from China textile market, you will be required to present the following documents.
- Commercial invoice
- Packing list
- Bill of lading
- Letter of credit/Purchase order
- Certificate of origin
- Proforma invoice
- Import license
- Insurance certificate
- Bill of exchange
How do you Ship Textile from China?
There are four means you could use when shipping textile from China;
- Sea freight
- Rail Freight
- Road freight
Of them all, air freight stands to be the most expensive but fastest means to use.
Most large scale importers never make use of air freight due to the high costs involved.
Instead, they use it only when sending smaller and urgent parcels such as samples or documents.
Sea freight is the most commonly used means of transport by most if not all serious importers.
By this, I mean importers who purchase in bulk.
Not only is sea freight the cheapest means but also the ideal one for shipping bulky goods.
However, sea freight is the slowest.
Therefore, you should be ready to wait a couple of weeks before receiving your cargo.
Saving as much and getting higher profit margins is one of the key goals for any importer and therefore speed doesn’t hinder them from using sea freight.
Alternatively, using rail freight could be an ideal option if you want to save on cost and have your goods delivered faster than sea freight.
Rail freight is applicable if the destination country is connected to China via the railway networks available.
The same applies to road freight. However, to make all these shipping means a success, road freight must be included.
This applies when transporting your goods from the supplier to the port and from the destination port to your warehouse.
How do you get the Best Prices from China Textile Market?
The fact that you can get textiles in China at cheap prices doesn’t mean you shouldn’t explore ways to make your supplier lower prices.
Here are the tricks you should consider applying to get the best prices from China textile market;
Textile in China
- Bargain –Bargaining is an important aspect for any business person.
It’s no secret that the prices in China are quite favorable; this shouldn’t trick you to ignoring the art of bargaining.
Most Chinese suppliers are accustomed to this and therefore if you don’t bargain you end up losing super deals.
- Purchase directly from the factory –One main advantage of buying directly from the factory is that no middlemen are involved and therefore the prices are lower.
Furthermore, you get to interact with your manufacturer on a one on one basis which might also be a good opportunity to secure future deals.
- Work with a sourcing agent –Sourcing agents act as your business partner.
Not only do they source for your textiles but also negotiate prices.
Their experience and networking in this field place them in a better position for securing the best prices for your textiles.
- Buy in bulk –Bulk buying attracts larger trade discounts as compared to purchasing smaller quantities.
Most Chinese suppliers are more than willing to offer higher discounts if you purchase larger amounts of textiles.
What should you ask when sourcing for Fabric in China?
For you to effectively source fabric from china, there are certain questions that you should ask before proceeding with your purchase.
Let’s find our below;
- Is there continuity? –Continuity refers to the availability of the fabric for future orders.
By asking this you will confirm that any future orders won’t be different from the ones you are purchasing.
- What are the price and MOQ – the MOQ refers to the minimum order quantity that a supplier is willing to sell at a certain price.
The MOQ will help you decide on the price and type of textiles you want to purchase.
- Are the fabrics in stock or not – Fabrics can either be in stock or made to order.
Just as the name implies, made to order fabrics are available once an order has been made. Stock fabrics are always in stock and therefore can be easily reordered.
Keep in mind that the lead time for made to order would be longer owing to the customization involved.
- What the fabric is comprised of – fabric composition includes the fabric color, weight, texture, and material.
You can have your textiles made as per your preference.
For instance, instead of purchasing color enriched fabrics, you can choose the lighter colored version of the same fabric.
The same applies to weight and textures.
The two main fabric components include; synthetic fiber and natural fiber.
The fiber composition is normally abbreviated as follows; SE for silk, CO for cotton, PL for polyester, and AC for acetate just to mention a few.
- Quotation – Before asking for a quotation, it is important to sample the fabrics first. Thereafter ask for the quotation as this will help you compare prices with other fabric suppliers in the market.
- Quotation unit – Ask for the price per each fabric roll. Remember the more you purchase the higher the discounts you might get.
- What is the length per roll –Knowing the length per roll of the fabric is important just to have an idea of what you are about to purchase.
A fabric roll normally has 25 to 100 meters of fabric.
- The lead time –The lead time refers to the time from when you make an order to when your fabrics are ready for shipping.
Factors such as customization might prolong the lead time and therefore it’s important to ask before production commences.
- Fabric width –Checking for the fabric width is important as some fabrics might be wider than what you expect them to be.
Meaning, you could buy less of it. Not forgetting that this will prevent you from fabric wastage caused by purchasing less or surplus.
What are the Common Fabric Defects to look for when Sourcing from China Fabric Market?
When sourcing from China fabric market, you need to look out for fabric defects.
In as much as your fabric might have gone through inspection, it’s always wise to check for any extra defects that might have been left out.
To measure fabric quality, a 4-point system is applied whereby the inspector gives penalty points depending on the following factors;
- Fabric quality
- Size of the defect
- Significance of the fabric defect
Here are pictorial illustrations of some of the defects included in the 4-point system;
· Shade Variation
· Drop Stitches
· Horizontal Lines
· Knots or Neps
Knots or neps
· Uneven Dyeing
· Abrasion Marks
Figure 15 Splicing
How do you Find Reliable Fabric Supplier in China?
Finding a reliable fabric supplier is key to ensuring that your sourcing process runs smoothly.
The following are ways that can find reliable suppliers in China;
- Online platforms – Online websites such as Alibaba, Made in China, Global sources, and Aliexpress offer a great platform for buyers and suppliers to link up.
In addition to that, some display ratings for each supplier thereby making your selection much easier.
- Local trade shows –China has several trade fairs that take place once or twice a year.
Attending such events will help you network with other importers as well as manufacturers and suppliers in China.
This is one of the best ways to find a reliable supplier as you will meet them facially.
- Visiting China – Paying a visit to China and personally assessing the market would be another option.
Keep in mind that you might need a translator as most Chinese are proficient in English.
- Google direct search – Google has made everything easier and this includes facilitating eCommerce.
Quick online research can get you an ideal fabric supplier in China.
Nevertheless, you need to be extra careful and confirm that you are dealing with a genuine supplier.
- Hiring a sourcing agent –Hiring a sourcing agent is the most effortless way of finding a reliable fabric supplier in China.
All you have to do is give instructions and leave the work for your sourcing agent.
I hope you now have a comprehensive understanding of the China textile market.
However, in case you have any question, feel free to contact us.
BanSar team is here to help you with all your freight forwarding needs from China textile markets.