As a new importer, do you want to know how to import a suitable packaging machine as easily and professionally as other experienced importers? We’ve dedicated this article to help you. It will take you through a simple process of importing packaging machines from China.
How easy is it to import a packaging machine from China?
It is a straightforward process. First, be sure the machine is permitted in your country. Next, find a reputable packing machine producer and place your order. Then pay for the equipment and arrange for the shipping to your location.
China is one of the largest markets in the world that exports machines to other countries.
They produce and sell machines at a more attractive price than other countries. This is because of the mature supply chain and the lower cost of labor, China produces and supplies high-quality equipment. Importing your machine from China is highly beneficial to your business.
For instance, we once had a UK client who is into the equipment business. He confirmed the cost of importing an automatic packaging production line from Italy. Stating it to be over €200,000 for the complete set.
But importing the same equipment from China is below €70,000. Despite the huge difference in cost of importation, the production quality is the same. This made him face the China market for all his machinery purchases.
We will be showing you a straightforward process below. Read further to find out.
How to Find A Suitable Supplier?
This is an important stage in your machinery importation process. Getting a reliable supplier at this stage will help fasten the process.
Offline and online sourcing are the two main ways you can get a reliable supplier.
- Offline Sourcing
This can be in the form of an in-person consultation. You can attend trade shows like Canton Fair or Yiwu commodities fair. There are also ones that are nice down to serve different market purposes. An example is the Hong Kong International Printing and Packaging Fair. They are the perfect avenue to meet packaging equipment producers.
- Online sourcing
For reliable information sourcing, Google is your best bet. Yahoo, trade webinars, and other similar forms of information are also great to find suitable machine suppliers.
- How to Identify a Good Company?
You can look out for machine production companies in these China locations: Zhejiang, Guangdong, Shandong, and Jiangsu.
These locations have expert packaging machine manufacturers, especially Guangdong. You can pay a business visit or have an in-depth look online. This can be through customer reviews on their website or via call.
Endeavor to check the supplier’s background(most importantly, license ), and sales support. Machine manufacturers with past clients are usually reliable. Check for ones who may have exported goods to your country before.
Go for ones with good after-sales services. This can include design assistance, machine maintenance, shipping help, etc.
How to Find a Suitable Machine?
Below are ways we have enumerated to help ease the process.
- Confirm the Materials You Need to Pack
If your product are different, you need to decide the one that needs the packaging machine.
A machine used for packaging creams differs from the one used for coffee. Make up your mind on the one you need as there is no one size fits all.
- Confirm the Type of Packaging You Want
Machines for packaging goods are of different types. It ranges from vertical, horizontal, premade, sealer machines to coffee/teabags machine.
- Determine Your Approximate Capacity Requirements
You need to take note of the following information during your research:
1) Confirm if the equipment can work stably under the voltage of your country.
2) A sort of protection for the packing equipment.
3) Timeframe for complete production.
4) Function compliance certificates and efficiency.
5) After-sales servicing. E.g coaching you or your staff on how to operate and maintain the device.
6) Know the average warranty most manufacturers give.
7) Know the size of the machine and make sure it fit your workshop.
8) Also take note and adhere to safety precautions of the importing country.
9) Ask supplier to offer packaging samples or testing videos according to your packing needs.
While the language barrier may be a concern to new buyers. Do note most suppliers in China have sales representatives who understand English. There are also several mediums where you can communicate with each other.
You can chat over Whatsapp, Skype/zoom to get more details. There’s also email, although the response rate here can be quickly slow. And then phone calls or video call, which are faster way to communicate.
What are the Terms of International Trade?
There are many trade terms, the machinery industry often uses the following ones:
- EXW (EX- Works): Seller is only responsible for the production and packing of the goods. Buyer needs to arrange the pickup from seller’s factory or warehouse, deal with every following steps and cover the corresponding expenses.
- FOB (Free on Board): After goods are ready, seller is responsible to load the goods on the vessel or plane, and cover the trucking fee, customs clearance cost and local charge at seller’s place. The transportation cost and following expenses are charged by Buyer.
- CIF (Cost Insurance & Freight): Seller covers the costs of transportation and insurance. Buyer needs to declare the goods on the customs, unload the goods from the desitination port, deliver them back to Buyer’s place and cover the correspoding expenses.
- DDU/ DDP: They are the easiest way for Buyer.
DDU means Delivered Duty Unpaid. After Buyer pays for the duties, Seller’s agent will deliver the goods to Buyer’s place.
DDP means Delivery Duty Paid. Seller is reposnsible for all the steps and costs and deliver the goods to Buyer’s place.
Requirements for Certificates and Documents for Importing Packaging Machinery in Different Countries (e.g UK, USA, Canada, EU, Australia)
The general documentation requirements for importing packaging machines are:
- Bill of Lading
- Certificate of Origin
- Commercial Invoice
- Packing List
- An EORI number (UK locations only) for tracking purposes
Importing to USA Requirements
- General requirements above
- Made in China label.
Importing to UK / EU
- General requirements above
- CE Certificate
- Must support EU type socket inputs
- A declaration of conformity and a user manual.
Importation to Australia
- General requirements above (can be faster with the help of freight forwarders)
Calculating duties of imports from China
Check for the import duties of the location you are importing to. You can also go to the organization’s website of the country you are importing to. Type in the HS code: 8422. Then add the total value, insurance, and shipment, including other costs.
- S: https://hts.usitc.gov/?query=8422.30.9185
- Britain: https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/headings/8422
What to Pay Attention to When Receiving Goods?
- Ensure that all parts of the boxes(in and out) are without damage before you sign the receipt.
- Check if the packaging machine has an manual and all machine parts are received well as the list.
By thrivingly supporting all of our clients, we have explained an easy process to import packaging machines. We hope that now you feel more capable of importing goods from China.
This guide has detailed the area of focus. Including things to look out for and compliance regulations. Also, by choosing the right machine and manufacturer, your business will thrive.
For more FAQ about the packaging machine, please click here More Info for First-Time Buyers.