Every year, billions of U.S. dollars go into imports of goods, products and commodities from Indonesia to USA.
In this guide we look deeply at the shipping dynamics involved when goods are transported from Indonesia to USA.
- Cost of Shipping from Indonesia to USA
- Best Shipping Times from Indonesia to USA
- How to get Cheapest Shipping to USA from Indonesia
- How to Label Cargo Shipping from Indonesia to USA
- Customs Clearance Process when Shipping from Indonesia to USA
- Choosing Insurance for Cargo when shipping from Indonesia to USA
- Taxes and Duty Chargeable when Shipping from Indonesia to USA
- Documents you need to Ship from Indonesia to USA Shipping
- Major Ports in Indonesia for shipping Cargo to USA
- Major Ports Destination in USA
- Ocean Freight from Indonesia to USA
- Air Freight from Indonesia to USA
- LCL Shipping Process from Indonesia to USA
- FCL Shipping Process from Indonesia to USA
- Applicable Shipping Laws and Regulations when Shipping from Indonesia to USA
- Delivery Options when Shipping from Indonesia to USA
- Express Services from Indonesia to USA
- How to Ship from Indonesia to USA using Freight Forwarders
- Containers Types to use when Shipping from Indonesia to USA
- Popular Products to Ship from Indonesia to USA
- Banned Goods from Shipping to USA from Indonesia
- Controlled Items that can be shipped from Indonesia to USA
- Recommended Packaging Process when shipping from Indonesia to USA
Cost of Shipping from Indonesia to USA
The cost of shipping goods from Indonesia to USA varies due to:
Method of Shipping
Air freight is the most expensive while sea freight is the cheapest mode of shipping from Indonesia to USA.
For instance, a cargo weighing 200kg per 1cbm will cost USD 2,200 by air, USD 896 by sea.
Air freight cost is calculated by the weight while sea freight is by volume or full container flat rate respectively.
Express services are affordable when shipping goods weighing 100 kg/0.2 cubic meters or less. C
argos above 100kg/0.2cbm are cheaper to shipped via air freight.
Size of Cargo
Cargo size comes in when using LCL or air freight because the cost is derived by calculation the weight and volume.
Air freight cost however increases with the weight while in LCL it goes up by the space needed.
The port of departure and arrive affect the cost depending on the zone of the port.
The higher the zone level the higher the cost of shipping.
Best Shipping Times from Indonesia to USA
Indonesia Export to USA
Shipping peak seasons fall between mid- August to mid-October fall when the demand for supplies always doubles.
This increase in demand leads to increase in ocean cargo for shipping thus affecting the cost of shipping.
To avoid such unnecessary rise in expenses, plan your shipment early before the seasons kick in in both Indonesia and USA.
Towards End Month
The rate of the containers goes up every beginning and mid-month, this increase is known as General Rate Increase (GRI).
During these times, the demand for goods is high hence container availability becomes hard.
Plan your shipping in between the GRI times to save you money
Holiday seasons such as Halloween and Christmas affect the pricing due to high container demand.
This in turn affects shipping rates thus increasing cost of shipping.
Any other day that is not holiday times in Indonesia or USA is best time for shipping.
How to get Cheapest Shipping to USA from Indonesia
If you want the cheapest shipping options from Indonesia to USA, you should consider the following:
Early planning on your part will see you ship your cargo using ocean freight without fearing transit times.
This enables you to avoid last minute rush that forces you to settle for the expensive available options.
Get Different Quotations
Having different quotations from different shipping companies enables you to gauge the prevailing market rates and settle for the cheapest option.
Have the Right Documentation
Make sure your cargo has all the required documents for customs exit clearance as well as custom entry clearance.
This avoid incurring penalties associated with non-compliance of customs laws and regulations.
Avoid Peak Seasons
Try and ship during off-peak to save you from the high rates of shipping in peak season.
Understand your Goods’ Codes
All goods being shipped from Indonesia to USA are classified in a Harmonized Code system (HS).
This classification determines the tariffs applicable and chargeable by customs.
Incorrect classification of goods leads to penalty, correction fees as well as payment of applicable taxes and duties.
How to Label Cargo Shipping from Indonesia to USA
Labelling of goods and commodities for shipping to USA must adhere to the standards of product labeling in USA.
The label should be in English and large fonts that are easy to read, this also applies to signs and symbols.
The labels should have:
- Product’s country of origin
- Shipper’s mark
- Weight in pounds and kilograms
- Number and size of products inside in inches and centimeters
- Port of entry
- Cautionary markings such as “This side up”
- Handling marks with international pictorial signs and symbols
- Hazard materials label
- Storage conditions “cool dry place” “refrigerate after opening”
- Ways of disposing, etc.
Dangerous goods labeling
Food Products Labelling
This category includes; foods, pharmaceutical,s and medical products.
These require a certain way of labelling and information on their packages.
Harmless dyes should be used for labelling and with ingredients and quantities, brand names, manufacturing country.
Other information such as allergies, manufacturing and expiry dates, vegetarian and non-vegan should be included.
Food and Drugs Administration (FDA) is the regulatory body for food products in the USA.
Any food imports that do not meet their labelling standards are not cleared for entry and might be destroyed at the port.
Any other product that is not food related falls here and they follow similar process as above but with less restrictions.
Customs Clearance Process when Shipping from Indonesia to USA
Custom official at the airport or port of exit in Indonesia check the paperwork for the shipment for correct documenting.
They then calculate the taxes and duties applicable to the shipment which is then paid before goods are cleared for shipment.
Upon arrival in USA airport or port, the cargo is subjected to the U.S Customs and Border Protection process.
The CBP officials then inspects the cargo against the paperwork submitted.
They ensure all imports to USA meet all the customs laws and regulations as stipulated by the law.
The customs inspection checks for the right classification, whether the goods are allowed and the purpose of import.
Once the cargo satisfies the CBP laws, taxes and duties applicable is paid then cleared for entry.
This is a tedious process in shipping therefore, ensure all the documents are correctly filled to avoid delays or consignment seizure.
You can use the services of customs brokers if you are not sure of the process for Indonesian and USA side.
Choosing Insurance for Cargo when shipping from Indonesia to USA
An insurance cover is necessary when shipping from Indonesia to USA to protect the cargo in transit against loss, damage, etc.
You can get one from a third-party insurance agent or a comprehensive cargo cover from your freight forwarder.
The cost of insurance is typical a percentage of the total cost of the goods being shipped usually, 0.3 t0 0.5%.
Accident during shipping
Taxes and Duty Chargeable when Shipping from Indonesia to USA
Goods and commodities shipped from Indonesia to USA are subjected to export and import duties and taxes respectively.
Customs duty and taxes are charged to protect domestic goods, and their flow in and out of the country.
In Indonesia, the Indonesia Customs Law (ICL) govern the customs and excise duties applied at the Indonesia customs territories.
All taxable exported goods are subjected to 0% value added tax (VAT) while specific goods are charged export duty.
The calculation is arrived at as follows:
Ad Valorem (percentage of value): Export duty=tariff of export duty x standard export price x quantity x exchange rate
Specific (currency per unit): Export duty=amount of export duty in Indonesian rupiah x quantity x exchange rate
The goods being shipped must be declared in the customs export declaration form (PEB-PemberitahuanEksporBarang).
When goods arrive in the USA Import laws are used to determine the taxes and duties applicable.
The import customs duties applied are either ad valorem or specific.
Customs duty vary between 0 to 37.5% while a normal duty rate is 5.63%.
Others import taxes chargeable are preferential duty for goods from free trade countries, sales tax, merchandise processing fees, etc.
U.S.CBP relies on an import declaration form, commercial invoice, HS Codes, etc. which help determine the value of imports and taxes applicable.
Penalties are exemptions on goods are applied depending on the country’s customs laws on import and export.
Documents you need to Ship from Indonesia to USA Shipping
You cannot ship from Indonesia to USA without the correct paperwork. Some of the key documents required include:
Commercial invoice sample
This document is a proof of sales transaction between buyer and seller.
It has details such as:
- Buyer and seller’s address and contacts
- Shipping address
- Item description, unit size and quantities
- Value of goods which will determine the insurance cost
- HS codes for tariffs levies
Custom agents use it to determine levies applicable.
This is a form that shows how goods were arranged for inspection and shipping.
It is filled by the exporter or freight forwarder when goods are re-packed.
Upon receipt of goods, the consignment receiver signs it.
It contains information such as:
- Name and address of the consignor and consignee
- Packing equipment such as pallet, crates, etc.
- Packing details
- Description of goods
- Hazardous information
Bill of lading
Bill of lading is a legal document between the carrier and the shipper that must accompany the goods being shipped.
It serves three purposes; contract of carriage between shipper and carrier, receipt of goods and as a document title of goods.
Bill of lading can also be used for:
- Tracking shipment using the number on the master bill of landing
- Payment of goods because it is a requirement for the letter of credit processing
- Insurance claims incase of loss or damaged cargo
Details included in the B/L include; shipment details, loading details and terms of contract.
- Types of bill of lading
- Onboarding B/L issued by the carrier upon loading of cargo in the shipping vessels. It indicates the condition of goods at the time of loading as either clean of foul B/L.
- Order B/L can be used as security for seller in that goods are only delivered upon payment.
- Received-for-shipment B/L is a confirmation of goods receipt by the carrier from freight forwarders but is not proof of loading.
- Sea waybill is a form of house B/L used for goods shipping but it does not serve as title document.
- Straight B/L is when a seller has been paid and the goods can be delivered “straight” to the buyer.
Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
This is a record showing the physical, chemical, biological, radioactive or explosive content of dangerous goods being shipped.
MSDS is provided by the manufacturer and shared with the cargo carriers to guide them on safety precautions to take.
It also helps in calculating the shipping cost for “dangerous goods”
Shipper’s Letter of Instruction
This is a note to the freight forwarding company directing them on how your cargo should be shipped and location.
It is a proof of transaction between the exporter and the freight forwarder and normally contain details such as:
- Exporter and the receiver of cargo’s contacts
- Incoterms applicable
- Transit route
- Description of shipment with corresponding HS codes
- Goods dimension and weight
This is a document that shows that goods are manufactured, processed or produced in Indonesia.
It has the details of the consignor and consignee, shipment routing and goods description.
Other additional information is; exporter declaration confirming goods’ country of origin and the inspection certificate evidencing goods have been inspected.
It is a required document for customs clearance and import statistics and levy duties.
Freight forwarders use it to know the prohibited goods.
This is a guarantee of payment by the bank of the buyer in USA to the bank of the seller in Indonesia.
It is necessitated by the fact that international trade normally experience delay in funds transfer.
This is a document that shows the cost breakdown of the shipment and other extra fees that may be incurred. Shipping quotation come with a validity period.
Important information included in the shipping quotation and which determine the cost are:
- Pickup and drop off points
- Mode of transportation
- Cargo details such as; weight, item description and dimensions.
This is a receipt from the carrier confirming that your cargo has been booked for shipment by ocean or air.
The receipt information includes:
- Booking number that aids in tracking your cargo
- Transport plan i.e., port of origin and destination and estimate time of arrival
- Equipment used i.e., number of pallet and cargo size
- Load itinerary
Major Ports in Indonesia for shipping Cargo to USA
These are some of the major and busiest ports in Indonesia that you can ship from:
- Surabaya, Java (Tanjung Perak) whose code is IDSUB
- Jakarta, Java (Tanjung Priok) whose code is IDTPP
- Semarang, Java (TanjungEmas) whose code is DSRG
Major Ports Destination in USA
- New York whose code is USNYC
- Los Angeles whose code is USLAX
- Houston whose code is USHOU
The codes are unique to these ports and cannot be used by any other port.
Ocean Freight from Indonesia to USA
Bulk coal loading
Transit Time from Indonesia to USA
Using FCL freight method is 27 to 39 days for port-to-port and 55 to 59 for door-to-door delivery.
LCL freight shipping takes longer; port-to-port takes 30- to 42 days while door-to-door takes 44 to 49.
It is easier to unload LCL container than FCL thus the less delivery days for door-to-door.
Benefits of Ocean Freight from Indonesia to USA
Some of the benefits of ocean freight are:
- It is the cheapest shipping mode available
- Convenient for bulky goods
Limitation of Ocean Freight from Indonesia to USA
- Takes longer transit time that may lead to goods delay
- Chances of goods getting damaged or lost are high with LCL mode and especially during high season.
Air Freight from Indonesia to USA
Loading cargo plane
Transit Times form Indonesia to USA using Air Freight
Air freight cargo will take between 8 to 17 days to be transported from Indonesia to USA.
Benefits of Air Freight from Indonesia to USA
- It is the fastest mode of shipping from Indonesia to USA
- The cost does not change with the distance covered.
- It is ideal for high valued cargo that need the tight security when handling as done at airports
- Can be used to ship perishable and fragile products
Limitations of Air Freight from Indonesia to USA
- The cost of shipping is very high compared to other modes
- It has a weight limit and cannot ship goods beyond the weight limit.
- Cargos that cannot be palletized cannot be shipped by air freight.
Reliable Airlines from Indonesia to USA
- Singapore Airlines
- United Airlines
- American Airlines
LCL Shipping Process from Indonesia to USA
Less container load is a shipment that cannot fill 20 feet or 45 feet container hence are consolidated with other goods.
The volume of a standard 20ft container is 1,172 CFT/33.2 CBM while 45ft is 3,122CFT/88.4 CBM.
Compared to FCL’s flat container rate, LCL freight charges is gotten by calculating the volume of the cargo.
This is the space that the goods take in the container and is measured in cubic meters (CBM).
To use LCL sea freight, you need to take into consideration:
- Cargo size smaller cargos that do not occupy 13 CBM and above 100 kg of a container are ideal for LCL. Below 13 CBM and less than 100kg can be shipped by air whereas above 15 CBM is FCL recommended.
- The cost is less when you are shipping a cargo that does not occupy more than half the container space. LCL is charged per CBM, this eventually cost more if much space occupied within the container. In this case, FCL would be better than LCL.
- Transit time for a cargo from Indonesia to USA is 25- 30 days LCL. Air freight and FCL are 7-10 days and 15-22 days respectively.
LCL freight shipping from Indonesia to USA has benefits associated with it. They include:
- LCL cost less because it is charged on the space occupied as opposed to the flat container rate on FCL.
- It is cheaper to use LCL than air freight for a cargo weighing the same.
- They are easily available throughout the season unlike FCL whose demand increases with season.
- You do not need a big storage space at once compared to FCL.
LCL shipping is not without limitation:
- Takes longer to ship due to the unloading and offloading of other cargos at different ports
- It involves a lot of handling between shipping thus goods can easily get lost or damaged. Not ideal for fragile goods.
- Delay in other shipment affect the rest because it is a groupage shipment and cannot proceed without the other.
- LCL may be expensive if the space occupied in the container is bigger than half the container.
FCL Shipping Process from Indonesia to USA
Full container load is a sea shipping method whereby only one shipment occupies an entire 20- or 40-feet shipping container.
The shipment may or may not fill the container during the shipping from Indonesia to USA.
How FCL from Indonesia to USA operates
When shipping your cargo in FCL method, you will have two delivery options: live or drop.
For live delivery, the driver waits as the goods are being offloaded at the warehouse in USA.
When this cannot be accomplished with the two hours then you can opt for the drop option.
In drop option, the driver will offload the container at the warehouse in USA and come collect it later.
The latter option is a bit costly because the driver makes two trips to your warehouse as opposed to live delivery.
Before you opt to ship using FCL method from Indonesia to USA you have to consider certain factors:
- Delivery point if it requires prior booking and their approximate waiting time. This is normally longer for FCL than LCL. Most companies allow driver waiting a maximum of two hours to unload the container. Beyond two hours, you will be charged extra fees by the hour.
- Port congestion; avoid shipping to busy ports and during peak seasons. This will lengthen your waiting time hence accruing port surcharges.
- Demurrages and detention fees; there is a free port waiting charges usually four days in USA after which demurrages apply. You should therefore ensure that the container is clear and collected withing the four days to avoid extra charges.
After goods collection, the container should be returned to the port within four days.
Failure to do so leads to detention charges, which are calculated per day.
FCL sea freight has its own benefits like:
- There is no groupage of other goods thus reducing the chances or damage or loss.
- It is easy to track your cargo from Indonesia to USA.
- The transit time from Indonesia to USA is less since there is no stoppage to offload other goods along the route.
- Once goods are sealed in Indonesia, they will remain so till the last drop off in USA.
- It is a cheaper method when your cargo can fill a smaller container or occupy at least 75% of the space. This is because it is charged at a flat rate for the whole container.
- FCL method is ideal for shipping fragile high-volume cargo that need extra care in handling from Indonesia to USA.
FCL is not entirely without disadvantages and therefore you some of the downside associated with it are:
- FCL is costly when the shipment is smaller than 13 cubic meters
- It requires more capacity for handling personnel during loading at the factory in Indonesia and at the terminal in USA. You may need to pay extra in case there is need.
- The shipment is large and handling may be complicated at the port of destination.
- It requires more storage space when the cargo is large.
Unlike LCL, FCL charges the shipper for the whole container despite its occupancy level.
This flat rate normally seems high when the container is not filled to at least 75%.
When planning to ship using FCL method it is important to factor in the cost and availability of the containers.
The pricing goes up during holiday season when the demand for supplies increases, during peak season and at the beginning and mid-month.
Applicable Shipping Laws and Regulations when Shipping from Indonesia to USA
Shipping laws and regulations of both Indonesia and USA that are applied in this case include:
This defines who takes responsibilities in the event of vessels collision, pollution, vessel salvage and wreck removal and limitation to liabilities.
Each country has adopted a well define way of handling or mitigating such events from happening.
These laws are used in the event a carrier losses or damages cargo, compensation plan, etc.
Delivery Options when Shipping from Indonesia to USA
There are various options for delivery services to choose from when shipping with a freight forwarder from Indonesia to USA.
Port to port shipping
This involves shipping of goods from loading port in Indonesia to discharge port in the USA.
It is the middle-leg of the shipping process. It does not include transportation of goods from the source to the loading port and from destination port to your doorstep.
When using port-to-port delivery option you need to consider inland transportation, port schedule, customs clearance and cargo insurance.
- Inland transportation is the movement of cargo from source to the port of loading and from offloading port to your address. This is facilitated by trucks or cargo trains.
- Port schedule is important to help plan around drop off and collection of goods from respective ports. Be sure to know the opening and closing times, working hours on weekend and public holidays. This will save you from unnecessary delay, inconveniences and port demurrages and surcharges.
- Customs Clearance is not part of port-to-port delivery services therefore, you need to arrange for them separately. You can arrange for the customs clearance using customs brokers of respective countries. this will save you the headache of paperwork and customs requirements.
- Cargo Insurance is important because it covers your cargos from unforeseen risks at sea. The carrier liability cover provided is not enough to make claims in case of losses thus the need for cargo insurance.
- Local charges such as release fee for bill of landing, port charges, etc. may not be included in the delivery service.
What port-to-port service quotation covers:
- Ocean freight cost is how much is charged for your cargo transport whether FCL or LCL.
- Container renting fee for cargo transportation
- Security fee applies for the security services offered while at sea.
- Cargo tracking by the freight forwarders from when the cargo leaves the port till arrival in USA port.
- Free time loading and offloading is the period between picking and dropping of container to the port for loading or unloading.
- Document issuing such as bill of lading is done at a cost
- Documents submission fee for destination specific documents filling.
Door to door shipping model
Unlike port-to-port deliver this covers the shipping process end to end from source to destination.
It involves picking up of the cargo from the warehouse in the country of origin to the port of loading.
This is followed by port-to-port shipment as the second and main leg of shipment.
Custom clearance is covered in this process both at the point of entry and exit in Indonesia and USA respectively.
The freight forwarder then organizes for port to door in USA using their own means of transportation.
Handling costs, customs documentations, duties and tariffs as well surcharges are all covered in the door-to-door delivery services.
Advantages of using door-to-door services
- There are no many hands dealing with your cargo hence, there is a sense of security.
- All the services are included in the process
- It is fast and easy to track.
Express Services from Indonesia to USA
Express services help ship smaller freight from Indonesia to USA within the shortest time possible.
Their delivery time ranges from overnight, next day delivery to between 1 to 4 days.
The providers of express services are Dwarka courier, UPS, FedEx, DHL, TNT, Aramex, among others.
Using express courier services is easy, faster and you can make your bookings payments online once you create your account.
It is also possible to track your shipment and dictate the time of arrive in USA.
How to Ship from Indonesia to USA using Freight Forwarders
Freight forwarders are companies that facilitate end to end movement of freight seamlessly.
They do not own the ships, or airplane but work in collaboration with carriers to make this possible.
There are freight forwarders who specialize in ocean cargo and others, air cargo.
Services offered by Freight Forwarders
- They handle the entire shipping process for you
- Prepare all the shipping paperwork on your behalf
- Provide warehousing services
- They handle any problems that may arise during shipping
What to Consider before Settling for a Freight Forwarder
- Type of handling needed by your goods
- The price and services offered by the freight forwarder
- Area of geographical coverage
When Approaching Ocean or Air Freight Forwarder for their Services you will use the steps below:
- Request for a quotation from the freight forwarder based in Indonesia giving full details of your shipment in terms of: Size, weight, dimensions, packaging, etc. This will determine the cost calculation and services to provide.
- Once you agree on pricing and services, a contract is drawn indicating the terms of service, incoterms and insurance cover.
- The freight forwarder will then arrange for goods collection or receipt from the source depending on the agreement.
- The freight forwarder will negotiate for better shipping costs with the carrier for your goods and prepare the necessary documentation. Thereafter, they will drop the cargo to the carrier for shipment and track it while on transit keeping you updated.
- Once goods arrive in USA at your airport or port, they will clear with the customs. Afterwards, you will be notifiedto collect or drop to your door step.
Containers Types to use when Shipping from Indonesia to USA
Types of shipping container
Standard Shipping Containers/Dry Vans
These are the 20ft and 40ft airtight containers that are used for general cargo transportation.
They are not fit with any temperature regualting device thus adopt prevailing enviromental conditions.
They can hold up to 11 pallets on theor fllor base when full.
These are shipping containers that have collapsible sides and with no top part.
They are used in shipping of goods with measurements beyond standard height and cannot fit through the door.
The collapsible sides make them easy to load and unload uisng a crane.
Goods commonly transported include; construction equipment, heavy machinery, pipes and industrial vehicles.
These goods are lashed to secured them during transportation.
This is similar to the standard shipping containers only that it has not roof.
It is ideal for goods with extra height thus cannot be loaded on standard containers.
Loading and unloading of such cargo is done by the crane using the open part.
A carrier may use a tarpaulin to cover the cargo while transporting it.
Refrigerated containers also known as reefers are specialized containers with an internal temperature of between -25 degree Celsius and +25 degree celsius.
Reefers are conneted to external generators or port power supply to enable them maintain the required temperatures.
They are mostly used in the shipping of fresh produce such as fish, fruits, perishable products, medicine and pharmaceuticals.
These are containers that permit air circulation in them.
They have lateral openings that allow free flow of air in and out of the container.
This prevent humidity that may damage the cargo hence are good for cargo that require contanst temperature.
These are containers used in the transportation of liquid commodities such as milk, oil, wine, or petroleum in large quantities.
They are specially made with an inner insulation lining which prevents corrosion from the cargo.
Tankers used in shipping of hazardous cargo such as petroleum are tagged and cannot be used to ship food stuff.
Dry High Cube
Dry high cube are general purpose containers that are slightly taller than the standard dry containers.
They are found in 45 feet dimension and are ideal for cargos that cannot fir in the standard 40 ft containers.
Are standard containers whose sides can be opened for loading and offloading of cargos that cannot go through regular door.
Half Height Containers
Half-height containers are popular in the mining industry due to their structural ability to hold bulky and dense cargos.
They are similar to the standard container but 10 ft or 20 ft heigh and with a low centre of gravity.
Goods such as stones, coal, are shipped by such shipping containers for their maximum balance.
Popular Products to Ship from Indonesia to USA
Some of the most products you can ship from Indonesia to USA include:
- Fish and crustaceans
- Knit and crotchet apparel and accessories
- Rubber and plastics
- Mineral fuels, oils and waxes
- Sugar and starch residues
- Woven apparel and accessories
- Electric machineries
Banned Goods from Shipping to USA from Indonesia
Goods that cannot be granted entry into USA from Indonesia include:
- Pornographic materials
- Bush meats
- Absinthe and Rohypnol
Controlled Items that can be shipped from Indonesia to USA
Indonesia is a member of the Association of Southeast Asia Nations (ASEAN) who have strong trade ties with USA.
As a result, shipping of goods from Indonesia to USA has been smooth as there are no so many restrictions.
Consequently, USA do not have any restriction on goods coming from Indonesia besides the regular restrictions on specific goods.
USA Department of Agriculture (USADA) requires importers of plants and animals’ products to have permits.
The controlled goods include:
- Edible oils
- Organic materials
- Exotic furniture from endangered woods and plants
Recommended Packaging Process when shipping from Indonesia to USA
When exporting products from Indonesia to USA, you want them to arrive intact.
Therefore, packaging plays an import role in ensuring the goods are contained, protected and preserved.
When packaging products for shipping, you will start from the secondary level since the goods are already in their primary packaging.
- Use secondary/outer packaging materials such as corrugated boxes, small single-walled or large-double or triple walled boxes depending on their size.
- Cushioning materials such as Styrofoam, packaging tissues paper, bubble wraps are placed between the product and the outer package. This protects against, bumping and vibrations.
- Using the correct sealing tapes; duct or brown, secure the flaps in place to avoid opening when being handled.
- Tertiary packaging such as palletizing or crates are used when packaging the goods in containers as a cargo.
Benefits of Packaging:
Packaging provides physical protection against shock, vibrations, environmental factors like moisture, dust, etc. to goods being shipped.
A well packaged cargo cannot spill its contents and is easy to handle.
For example, having one box of 100 footwears is easier to handle than 100 boxes of individual footwears.
Packaging is a form of security especially when you use anti-theft devices such as surveillance tags, RFID tags, dye-packs, etc.
These devices can be activated and deactivated at entry and exit points by few people with special devices.
Packages with seals act as proof of authenticity of a product and not counterfeit.
Outer packaging also protects certain products from popular brands that me be targeted for theft.
Attractive packaging will also sell your products when displayed on the shelves.
Some form of packaging with features such as handles, zippers, tear notches add to product convenience.
In short, these are some of the fundamental factors you need to know when shipping from Indonesia to USA.
If you have any question or inquiry, BanSar team is here to help – contact us now.